Bottom Feeder Help

1. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

What kind of bottom feeders do you guys recommend for a 10 gal tank with a Betta. I had a snail before and they were great together but the snail didn't really help with the cleaning and so should I get a new snail or try something else

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

what kind of snail did you have and what kind of cleaning did you have in mind
    nerites are great at all kinds of clean up, so much so that owners can get away with not feeding them for long periods of time because they always find their own food somewhere
    that said, they should still have blanched veggies every once in a while

3. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

It was a mystery snail. I was hoping for the debris on the ground and/or something for algae

4. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with above! You could also try shrimp? Some bettas will eat them but ghost shrimps which are a larger kind usually don't get eaten.

There isn't any fish you can do though

5. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

Are shrimp hard to care for?

6. Al913

Ghost shrimps aren't!

Just make sure you also feed them! I would do about 10 to start off with it

7. LA58

LA58 Valued Member Member

Ameca Splendens also known as Butterfly Goodeid do an awesome job at cleaning tanks too. They will eat almost anything.

8. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

I never heard of that lol

What do I feed them? I know I can get shrimps at the PetSmart in Peterborough which is about 1-2hr away. So I normally go to pal macs/pet value for fish food which is only a few mins

9. Al913

They are best kept in species only tank. They aren't great with community tanks do to their aggressive nature at feeding time and will most likely eat all the food. Males are particularly aggressive in general

If you can I would get some sinking pellets, shrimp pellets are good LOL

10. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

Oh then not a good idea

Lol shrimp pellets...Nice. Alright thanks a lot you've been helpful

11. LA58

LA58 Valued Member Member

A1913 You are correct. Ameca splendens are fast. I do love the 3/4" fry they produce. Fascinating room temp, food loving fish.

12. OP
    OP
    JamieXPXP

Yea but doesn't sound like a good mix with a Betta lol