Bottom feeder cat fish breeding & raising the eggs

Tuffy

I have 3 types of bottom feeder cats. Cory , panda & peppered cats. The Cory catfish breed like crazy I had well over 60 babies. I’ve been working on getting the peppered cats eggs to hatch. So far I have 7 babies.The trouble with the panda they lay there eggs a couple at a time & lay them all over the tank.I’ve watched them for hours to see where they laid there eggs with no luck. I don’t want to put my pandas in a five gallon bucket so I can get there eggs. It seems cruel . I’m not a breeder. I do it just because it’s interesting to watch & Im satisfied when I’m able to get the eggs to hatch. They are so tiny after they hatch u can barley see them with a strong magnifying glass. The babies eat algae in my breeder tank. All my cats help keep my FBT tanks clean

Demeter

All 3 are corydora species and may crossbreed if kept together. Panda corries in particular are known to hybridize with similar species. Keeping them in separate tanks is best, hybrid corries can be harder to sell/trade in at pet stores.

The best way is probably to set up a spawning tank and then remove the parents after they lay eggs. Other than that you’ll just have to collect the eggs by hand. You can spawn and raise all the cory species the same way. A good way to trigger spawning is adding slightly cooler water during a water change. It mimics the rainy season.

DoubleDutch

The fry probably feed on the aufwuchs.
They aren't algaeeaters.

Haven't seen Paleatus x Panda crossbreds so far.

Tuffy

All 3 are corydora species and may crossbreed if kept together. Panda corries in particular are known to hybridize with similar species. Keeping them in separate tanks is best, hybrid corries can be harder to sell/trade in at pet stores.

The best way is probably to set up a spawning tank and then remove the parents after they lay eggs. Other than that you’ll just have to collect the eggs by hand. You can spawn and raise all the cory species the same way. A good way to trigger spawning is adding slightly cooler water during a water change. It mimics the rainy season.
I haven’t seen mine cross breed & I sit right next to my tank & watch them for hours

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
H Farnsworth
Replies
Views
ChristyFishMom
Replies
Views