Bottom Dwelling Fish

glassescat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 24 gallon nano with six black neon tetras and small, brown gravel substrate. I was very bent on adding pygmy cories, but I recently discovered that cories would prefer sand and I already changed my substrate once already during cycling and rather not do it again anytime soon (since the gravel I first bought was blue but then learned brightly colored gravel can stress fish out, so I changed it).

Does anyone have any suggestions for bottom dwelling fish that would be happy with gravel and the tank size?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you really want cories, then get them. They'll be fine. That said, I like plecos and recommend them, particularly species in the genera Panaqolus and Ancistrus.

glassescat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Another option for smaller, schooling fish would be Otocinclus Catfish. They are pretty active for 'bottom-dwellers' and will happily eat algae all day long.
Oh I never knew about those guys, they look perfect! And that's good that they eat algae, especially since I plan to add a mystery snail in the future and I read they don't eat algae too much.

Señor Pescado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh I never knew about those guys, they look perfect! And that's good that they eat algae, especially since I plan to add a mystery snail in the future and I read they don't eat algae too much.
I think they compliment an aquarium with schooling tetras since they are roughly the same size, and you can have one school at the mid/upper level and one at the bottom.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the tank? As long as the gravel isn't sharp, it should be fine for the cories.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Although maybe not a bottom dweller, my 2 Bolivian Rams always hanging out at the bottom of the tank.

They are easier to keep and not as easily stressed as the German Blue Rams.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Although maybe not a bottom dweller, my 2 Bolivian Rams always hanging out at the bottom of the tank.

They are easier to keep and not as easily stressed as the German Blue Rams.
Bolivian rams are actually bottom dwellers, and it's why yours are hanging out at the bottom. I've rarely seen them go up to the top of the tank.

CandyCane701

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another option for smaller, schooling fish would be Otocinclus Catfish. They are pretty active for 'bottom-dwellers' and will happily eat algae all day long. I have kept them on gravel without any problems.
I love otos, but idk if I'd personally consider them as a bottom dweller. Mine were more mid dwelling and always on my plants. I rarely ever saw them at the bottom. Maybe it depends on your setup.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love otos, but idk if I'd personally consider them as a bottom dweller. Mine were more mid dwelling and always on my plants. I rarely ever saw them at the bottom. Maybe it depends on your setup.
Agree, they will be at the bottom when the Corys are fed to get their share but theis suckermouth is more equipped to stick to plants / glass.

glassescat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I ended up getting otos instead, I feel like they are more suitable for my tank size (the person at the LFS agreed with me) and will be a big help with all the algae that's built up in places I can't really get to. Also they are super cute~

I'm acclimating them at the moment, so I might take a pic later.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I ended up getting otos instead, I feel like they are more suitable for my tank size (the person at the LFS agreed with me) and will be a big help with all the algae that's built up in places I can't really get to. Also they are super cute~

I'm acclimating them at the moment, so I might take a pic later.
I'd expect any person at the LFS agreeing hahaha..

But they are awesome little fish. Keeping 6 of these buggers, but only telling they don't really fit in the "bottomdweller-question"

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree. If you're expecting bottom-dwellers, you'll be disappointed. Mine hangs around plants and glass. Rarely is it on the bottom, unless searching for food.

glassescat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd expect any person at the LFS agreeing hahaha..

But they are awesome little fish. Keeping 6 of these buggers, but only telling they don't really fit in the "bottomdweller-question"
I agree. If you're expecting bottom-dwellers, you'll be disappointed. Mine hangs around plants and glass. Rarely is it on the bottom, unless searching for food.
That's okay, it's no big deal! I mostly wanted some algae cleaners anyway.

glassescat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently let them in the tank and they're already getting to work!

I hope my black neon tetras get along with them, right now they're just behaving normally and are a little curious about their new tank mates.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom