Bottom Dwellers.

1. Nicole Leanne Hamer Initiate Member

Hi. I have always been a fan of fish from a small age, but I always had tropical set-ups. I now have a cold water tank. I recently exchanged a small 2' tank for a much larger 4' tank. The tank currently now contains 3 small goldfish and 2 small ghost koi (which are being fattened up to go in a much larger pond at the new house).

My questions is this: I also have in the tank 2 small weather loach, but they are never anywhere to be found. I originally bought them to give some life to the base of the tank. Before I shell out for more of these social little things, I wanted to know if it was a good or bad idea to add more in order for them to be more visible and prominent in the tank? Or are there any other cold water fish which would be more suited to my tank set-up?

The filter system is advanced with under cupboard filter, 2 foot spray bar to the back. Also a dual air-line pump which is connected to 30cm air stones, which span the back of the tank at the base.

As a separate issue, my tank is running a little warm due to the room temp, is there any way to combat this? Or would my current stock of fish be ok with a temp of around 76f/24c?

Thanks in advance, hope you can help.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bad idea as weather loach are potentially big fish up to around a foot in length & you haven't room for any more & once the ones you have get nearer adult size you'll have to upgrade or rehome them.
    Have you got sand or soft gravel substrate for them to burrow into? they may feel more secure if they know they have somewhere to bury themselves
    As for the current high temperature, most fish can take seasonal rises in temperature, as long as it doesn't stay high all year round they'll be fine

3. Nicole Leanne Hamer Initiate Member

Very well. I rescued the pair from a fish farm, seemed very over crowded and these 2 had jumped 3 tanks over already. I am hoping to have the new glass house built at the new house before they reach maturity. They burrow into the gravel easily and also hide in the caves and bridges darted around the tank. They do appear now and again, but only when the tank is dark at night.

Do you have any insight on other bottom dwellers which would be suitable for the current set-up? Or is it a case of waiting it out until the new, much larger tanks are built when I move?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The only other coldwater bottom dweller that comes to mind is the hillstream loach & that needs fast flowing water which your goldies wouldn't like.
    I'd wait until you have the much bigger tank then add a couple more

5. Nicole Leanne Hamer Initiate Member

Fair enough. If it was up to me I would get rid of the goldfish and get the loach, but my gf has a thing for the boring old goldfish. Waiting it is lol. Thanks for your fast response and advice.

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could always have a pond when you move ;)