Bottom Dwellers For A 10 Gal Tank?

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I have a 10 gal tank with 1 male Betta. He is fine with larger bottom dwelling fish.

I would like to know if there are any Bottom Dwellers that would do well in my 10 gal?
    I already have a couple of snails, but I want something that is more interesting and active. I can also move the snails to another tank if I need to.

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

3. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Asian Stones will work well in a 10, but not with a betta.

4. OP
    OP
    O

Why not with a Betta? I currently have 5 False Julii Corydoras in with him and he gets along with them just fine.
    I want to move the Julii's to my 29 gal and eventually rehome them, but I would like something else in the 10 if possible.

Oh, is it because of temp compatibility?

5. MattS99

Exactly. And they're kind of small, wouldn't really trust a betta with them in a small space. You know, the whole 'no community betta tanks in anything less than a 20 long' deal.

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

7. OP
    OP
    O

I actually do have 3-4 Amano Shrimp in my 29 gal that I want to move. I think I'll try with a couple of Ghost Shrimp first and if it goes well I will move the Amanos to the 10. That's the only tank I have any algae in and they could help clean it up.

Do Ghost Shrimp do a good job of eating algae?

8. goplecos

Oh, you have a Bettas. Gosh, I need to read better. Asian Stone Catfish are colder water.

9. BottomDweller

Ghost shrimp are more carnivorous and do a good job of cleaning up uneaten food but not algae.

10. goplecos

Yes, they do a OK job cleaning algae, but Amanos would work better. Don't get them from Petco. They often have freshwater prawns instead which are super aggressive.

11. OP
    OP
    O

Ok, in that case I will just get 2 to make sure my Betta will be ok with Shrimp and then get rid of them if he does and move the Amano's in. I think he will be, but I wanna sure before he eats my $5 a piece shrimp.

The Ghost Shrimp or Amanos? I actually got all of my Amanos from Petco and they are definitely Amano shrimp.

I had 7, but lost a couple here and there from them jumping out of the tank during water changes and me not finding them in time.

12. OP
    OP
    O

So I found some Amano Shrimp for only $2.50 each. Normally they are always $5 each. I'll be adding them to the 10 gal with the other 3 i have in my 29 if I can catch them.

I found Asian Stone Catfish for the first time when I was at the store getting my other fish. Are you all sure they can't go in the 10 with the Betta? They so awesome looking!

13. MattS99

I am 100% sure they can't. Temeratures just don't work. And if the bettas didn't like them, they'd be dead fast. Super docile, it'd be a slaughter.

14. OP
    OP
    O

Ok. I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda bummed as they were awesome, but I want happy fish so I'll just stick with some Amanos for now.

15. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Maybe do a mix of Ghost and amanos??

16. BottomDweller

I completely understand. I'm upgrading my bettas tank and Asian stone cats would have been the perfect tankmates if only they were temperature compatible.

17. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks
    I also think I found a buyer for my Julii Corydoras. *fingers crossed*

18. OP
    OP
    O

I am soo excited! I just traded my 5 False Julii's for 7 Purple Mystery Snails! Now I have the perfect mix for my 10! 5 Amano Shrimp that I got for a lot cheaper, a couple Tiger Nerite Snails and the 7 Mystery Snails. I'm think I'm gonna be super happy with this tank. :)

19. MattS99

Good trade! Have fun with it.

20. OP
    OP
    O

I thought it was pretty good as the only way to get purples here is to order them online or find someone like her. Plus the lady who I traded with has a 75 gal with more False Julii's so they should be super happy. Win win!