Status
Not open for further replies.

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Does anyone know if this

Would be good enough for a saltwater aquarium? Its like 80-90 cents a gallon.

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What tank size are you thinking of having? Using grocery store RO water will work for smaller systems, I use RO water from my grocery store on my 29 gallon reef. They sell it for 50 cents a gallon

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm thinking of starting a nano tank 10-30 gallons, most likely a 20 long.

Edit:
So would it be safe?

Last edited:

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That water should be fine. Although even in smaller systems you will save money in the long term using an RO/DI unit. It just takes longer before the unit will pay itself off. I drive a V8 Mustang so I'm saving money on gas not needing to drive to the grocery store or LFS to get RO water.

jay275475

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks, I was thinking on starting off with that then working my way up to a ro/di unit.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That should be fine. RO/DI water is the best you'll be able to get, with a TDS of 0, rather than just low.

RO water should be fine, as long as the RO filters have been serviced regularly. That's what I don't like about buying RO water at grocery stores, you don't know how long it has been since they were last serviced unless you have a handheld TDS meter, which aren't expensive.

llfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was using culligan ro water for the last year and wow did I have issues, so I tested the water and it was not pure at all,...so frustrating so make sure you just do some quick tests on your water to make sure it has no phosphates and nitrates in it. I finally broke down and got a ro unit of my own, that way I know exactly where my water is coming from, and how clean it is

Master Yoda

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've got a 20 gallon nano setup. I bought a Coleman 5 gallon water jug for $12 and plan to use it to get water from my lfs until I can get an RO/DI unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom