Bottled Water For Tank Water?

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't have access to anything that allows me to purify and mineralize tap water, is it possible for me to use (nestle) bottled water instead for a temporary (jar) tank?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
What kind of fish are you keeping in a jar right now? Also why would you need to purify and mineralize your tap water, just out of curiosity?

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fahn said:
What kind of fish are you keeping in a jar right now? Also why would you need to purify and mineralize your tap water, just out of curiosity?
Betta//I meant condition the water, I just forgot the word.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Katkatt said:
Betta//I meant condition the water, I just forgot the word.
What source is your tap from, does it contain chlorine or chloramine? If it is from a well and is not being run through a water softening or RO unit, it is most likely perfectly safe.

You've probably been told this a million times on here by now but be sure to get that betta a heated, filtered tank as soon as you're able. A jar/vase/bowl/whatever won't work long term

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Er, if it is a jarrable fish (ex: betta) it might be okay for a little while. But bottled water will run up a bill pretty quickly; I used bottled water to spray my gecko and even that wasn't reasonable.

Why not let just your tap water stand for a couple of days?

Or order some cheap bulk dechlorinator online?

I think even Cost Cutter sells decholinator. Walmart does too, same for possibly KMart and Target.

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fahn said:
What source is your tap from, does it contain chlorine or chloramine? If it is from a well and is not being run through a water softening or RO unit, it is most likely perfectly safe.

You've probably been told this a million times on here by now but be sure to get that betta a heated, filtered tank as soon as you're able. A jar/vase/bowl/whatever won't work long term
Currently, it is from a well, but it is chlorinated and I don't want to take that risk. I'm fully aware of the jar, I just have to transport them home and I don't want to keep them in a tiny little cup the entire time, haha. They have a 5 gallon, heated, cycled tank waiting for them six hours away.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I always advise against bottled water. It's parameters will almost always be waaay different than those of your tap which when you go back to the tap will stress your fish as well as the change to the bottled water. Bottled water may be purified but it's often missing essential minerals fish need.

If you are out of dechlorinator put the water in a pitcher and let it sit out for a day or two. Chlorine will dissipate in about 24 hours, chloramines take longer 48-72 hours but of you have a bubbler to put in it will help expidite the process of allowing them to dissipate. Once the water is aged move your heater to the pitcher to bring the temp up to that of the tank and then add it.

Ahhh I missed your last post. Leave them in the cup. It'll be less stressful for them. Don't leave them in the car for any period of time though and keep them in the dark if possible.

Castiel*

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Katkatt said:
Currently, it is from a well, but it is chlorinated and I don't want to take that risk. I'm fully aware of the jar, I just have to transport them home and I don't want to keep them in a tiny little cup the entire time, haha. They have a 5 gallon, heated, cycled tank waiting for them six hours away.
If you are just transporting them home in the jars they will be fine with bottled water. Just make sure to match temps and acclimate them to the jars. I take it they came from little petco cups?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom