Bottled Water did the trick...

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
OK, anyone following my many posts knows about the problems I've been having with my cycle and my tank water clouding up.  I've come to the conclusion that it's this crappy Florida water being loaded with enough cloramines to treat a swimming pool, not to mention being hard enough to rival wet cement.   (tap water here has ammonia testing over 8 ppm and hardness over 300!!!)
Well, I finally came up with the solution, thanks to my mom.  She called me Saturday and asked if I thought she should restock her stash of bottled hurricane water.  And I thought "hmmmmmmmmmmm... 2 dozen gallons of bottled of water???"  Better yet, this stuff has been sitting in her garage for a couple years, so it's OLD bottled water!  So I tested it, and it's VERY clean, no ammonia, pH a little low, but that's an easy fix, not too hard... it just might work.
So naturally I told her "**** yes, I'll go buy you a couple dozen new bottles right now"
And then I did a water change with it, and voila! it seems to be working.  And I bought a dozen more this evening and did another water change, and my tank is almost crystal clear!  I think I finally got it right.

dazzler

Reaction score
good news is hard to come by. but that's impressive!!!! one thing however I have noticed here on this here forum is that bottled water also does not have certain other nutrients and "stuff" that tap water has. so... jmo however you may want to add some tap water to compensate for the lack of nutrients... also if you let your water sit outside for 24-48 hrs this can help lower the chloriamines.

good luck and congrats
regards Dazzler

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had never heard that it helps with Chloramines but that does work with Chlorine. Chloramines are much nastier and deadlier and usually need to have a conditioner to remove them but perhaps I just haven't had to deal with them so it could work.

Rose

dazzler

Reaction score
oops my mistake I was meaning CHLORINE my mistake I was excited. I got cycled today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards dazzler thanks chikadee

OP
Jimold

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
the chlorimines here are horrible. But regular Publix bottled drinking water (not distilled or spring water) seems fine

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
I have read over the years that bottled water is good, many keepers of very sensitive tropicals actually get an RO (reverse osmosis) filter system to reduce hardness, and filter out everything! In that case, you add back just what you want, takes lots of research, but that is half the fun! These systems can be expensive, but buying bottled water for my tank would be cost prohibitave. I am SO lucky to have fresh well water. No chlorine, ph 7.2, although it comes out at about 36 degrees F I have to temper it with hot water.

Fish in the Frozen North. -5F this morning. 8)

The IDIDAROD SLED DOG race is starting in Anchorage this morning! If you are interested, KTUU will be posting articles, updates, and videos all week!

New Threads