Bottled bacteria -- snake oil??

TheFishNoob1999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My ammonia has been at 2ppm for over a week now. I've added more than enough Fluval CYCLE bio-enhancer so presumably something should be happening; but I just read that what these companies advertise is a different type of bacteria -- nitrosoma/nitrobacter -- compared with actual nitrifying bacteria -- nitrospira -- and is basically snake-oil.

Is there any truth to that claim?? If so, I'll be pretty p*ssed.

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know about the different types of bacteria and which companies use what. IMO it's not quite snake oil but often overrated by sales staff and the companies themselves who make all sorts of claims about it. Some seem to work better than others, but even those seem to vary in effectiveness between bottles and the setups they are used in. I've haven't tried the Fluval one. I tried Seachem Stability once and it seemed to help a little. A couple of other brands had no effect. Members here often cite a Tetra brand one as being potentially worthwhile using, but don't expect miracles. Media from a mature filter is much more effective.

lagerstout

Reaction score
TheFishNoob1999 said:
My ammonia has been at 2ppm for over a week now. I've added more than enough Fluval CYCLE bio-enhancer so presumably something should be happening; but I just read that what these companies advertise is a different type of bacteria -- nitrosoma/nitrobacter -- compared with actual nitrifying bacteria -- nitrospira -- and is basically snake-oil.

I guess one tip I could provide is making sure that your water is at optimum bacteria growing temps. Somewhere between 76-82 degrees.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TheFishNoob1999 said:

You are right most are different bacteria though notrosomonas and nitrobacter are cycling bacteria but aren't in most of the sold bottles.

Most "starters" contain heterotrophic bacteria that live shortly but also munch on ammonia and nitirtes for some time.
They don't seed the tank though but only buy time for the real.ones to occure in a natural way.

So for seeding / starting the cycle : snake oil
For buying time / minicyles or other urgent need.to lower ammonia / nitrites : useful

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom