Botia Angelicus (Polka dot loach)

1. Caligo'sKeeper Member Member

I have a 29 Gal with 1 blind cave tetra and a 6 glass catfish (k minor). I want to get some loaches next and last and I was looking at Botia Angelicus (aka Burmese Border Loach/Polka dot loach) Does anyone know if these fish will get along with what I have? I was planing on getting 3 or 4. Do I have enough room?

Thanks!

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hello!
    I think you do have room for the loaches and they would get on fine with your stock :)
    However I would consider adding atleast 2 more cave tetras as they like to be in groups :)

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

personally I would think it could be overstocked, they have been known to grow to 6 inches.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Your best bet for loaches are kuhlis. But, if you want the botia type, then I think the zebra loach would be better only because they're smaller. There's also dwarf chain loaches, whch have the botia shape, but I don't know much about them.

5. Toddnbecka Member Member

A 29 is a bit small for a group of polka dots, though they aren't terribly active fish IME. I certainly wouldn't recommend mixing active species with the glass cats, those are really better suited to a species tank. The dwarf chain loaches would really make them miserable, they're little terrors for peaceful fish. Kuhli's would probably be the best bet both as tankmates for the glass cats and being suitable for that size tank.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello CK. Here is a link you may find interesting and or helpful.
    Polka Dot Loach
    Ken

7. DRock914 Member Member

As far as mixing botia kubotai's (polka dot loach) they are peaceful and will keep your gravel clean. I have one in a 20 and he gets along with the gold barbs I had in there and the current fish I have in there. You probably could have 3 but do you plan on adding more fish in the future? If you do buy them try to get them young so you can witness their coloring transformation.

8. Caligo'sKeeper Member Member

Thanks for the replies! and the link! I'll have to mull it over... I really do like the botia guys, I was watching them in the LFS and they were pretty amusing. There's kind of a limited selection of speices there, though as far as loaches. I probably won't get anything until closer to the holidays, but thanks for all the great advice! As for adding other fish, I'm not planning on adding more after the loaches, except for maybe another blind cave fish if I ever happen upon one but I don't ever see those around here, the one I got was all by his lonesome in a walmart in with albino corys... he seems to do ok on his own though. :)