Both tanks cycled

StarGirl

Member
So what are you putting in them?
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
StarGirl said:
So what are you putting in them?
I'm going to add 1 cory to the 40 gallon breeder, and for the 20 gallon I was thinking about adding 1 cory, 3 neons, 3 glass, and 1 betta. I would love to have 5 neons and 5 glass but they all will be around 3" as adults and I don't want to have too many in the 20 gallon high.
 

StarGirl

Member
Do you currently have fish in them? One cory each wont be enough, and what kind are you thinking? They are different sizes too. Thats why Im wondering. Neons dont get 3" so you could definitely do 5 or 6 of them. They are maybe a inch full grown. Not sure what the glass are.
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
StarGirl said:
So what are you putting in them?
Just going to add 1 cory in the 40 gallon breeder and in my 20 gallon after I change my substrate to sand I want to put 1 cory 3 neon tetras 3 glass tetras and 1 betta. I would love to have 5 glass and 5 neons but it says they each get to be 3" as adults and I don't want to have too many in the 20 gallon.
 

FishBoy101

Member
lindacambrose said:
Just going to add 1 cory in the 40 gallon breeder and in my 20 gallon after I change my substrate to sand I want to put 1 cory 3 neon tetras 3 glass tetras and 1 betta. I would love to have 5 glass and 5 neons but it says they each get to be 3" as adults and I don't want to have too many in the 20 gallon.
Corydoras need to be in school of 6 at minimum. I would only do 1 school of tetra in the 20 gallon, as 2 schools of 3 doesn't mean a large school of 6, just 2 species with 3 fish in a school mingling.
 

StarGirl

Member
Neons do not get 3 inches. Maybe 1 inch total. You could definitely do 6 in a 20g. Cories need more than 1 also.
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
As for their body type, they have a spindle-like body and a rounded nose. Large eyes make up the majority of their head. They can grow up to 2.5 inches long; however the average size is around 1.5 inches, with females being slightly shorter.

Neon Tetra Complete Care Guide 2020

I'm not going to get anything yet until I get my sand off of Amazon and change the substrate it looks like coral or something else but it's not sand. But I definitely want to think through about the fish I want.

Definitely something small

Maybe some harlequin idk yet I want to leave room for Java Ferns and Java Moss balls also
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
Depending on what fish you add I would recommend shrimp I just got some of my first shrimp a couple of weeks ago and I love them
 

NoahLikesFish

Member
I would prioritize on getting live plants, those plants look like they would shred a fishes fins, also those stocking ideas are too many species too few numbers
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
AggressiveAquatics said:
Depending on what fish you add I would recommend shrimp I just got some of my first shrimp a couple of weeks ago and I love them
Nope I'm not doing anymore shrimp the pet store sold me what was supposed to be ghost shrimp instead were prawns and we're attacking my fish.
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
lindacambrose said:
Nope I'm not doing anymore shrimp the pet store sold me what was supposed to be ghost shrimp instead were prawns and we're attacking my fish.
Put those prawns in their place
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
AggressiveAquatics said:
Put those prawns in their place
I took them out and put them in the 10 gallon but they passed before I could make it to the pet store.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
lindacambrose said:
I'm going to add 1 cory to the 40 gallon breeder, and for the 20 gallon I was thinking about adding 1 cory, 3 neons, 3 glass, and 1 betta. I would love to have 5 neons and 5 glass but they all will be around 3" as adults and I don't want to have too many in the 20 gallon high.
Corys, as other members have mentioned, need to be in schools of 6 or more to show their true behavior. As for the the other fish in the 20, I would choose between the neons and the glass. Personally, I would do neither and instead do cardinals as they are less overbred than neons, but look similar and get slightly larger. For the betta, I recommend you do a koi HMPK (Halfmoon plakat) betta as they are stunning. If you don't know what they look like, google them and you will fall in love!
For the 20g I would do:
1 Koi HMPK Betta
6-8 Cardinal Tetras
6-8 Corys
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
NoahLikesFish said:
I would prioritize on getting live plants, those plants look like they would shred a fishes fins, also those stocking ideas are too many species too few numbers
That's the same plants in with those fish at the pet store I asked what they were and bought some because that's the same fish I was thinking of buying,as far as the fake plants go they're just serving the purpose of surface space for bacteria while tank is cycling till I get more live plants.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
lindacambrose what kind of pleco is that? It looks to me like one of the ones that gets bigger, but I can't remember the name. ARGGG!
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
lindacambrose what kind of pleco is that? It looks to me like one of the ones that gets bigger, but I can't remember the name. ARGGG!
I've got a 500 gallon being cycled for her.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
lindacambrose said:
I've got a 500 gallon being cycled for her.
Wow nice!
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Wow nice!
Right now she's in an emergency tank because the other one busted.
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
lindacambrose said:
Right now she's in an emergency tank because the other one busted.
Did you look at Koi HMPK bettas as mentioned in post #14?
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Did you look at Koi HMPK bettas as mentioned in post #14?
One big fish is good enough for me right now I want to get an above ground pond first.
 

NoahLikesFish

Member
You sound like me, I was playing imaginary aquarium and I doubt you have a 500g
 

mattgirl

Member
Did you look at Koi HMPK bettas as mentioned in post #14?
lindacambrose said:
One big fish is good enough for me right now I want to get an above ground pond first.
In this case I am thinking koi is just the coloration of a Betta. They don't grow like a koi goldfish
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
mattgirl said:
In this case I am thinking koi is just the coloration of a Betta. They don't grow like a koi goldfish
Yes it is a coloration. Bettas do not get very big. They get about 2-3 inches.
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
NoahLikesFish said:
You sound like me, I was playing imaginary aquarium and I doubt you have a 500g
I have it cycling at my sister's house until I get moved
 
  • Thread Starter

lindacambrose

Member
Mrmarra77 said:
Quick question is that caribsea premium naturals substrate any good
It's awesome it stays settled at the bottom easy to clean wasn't hardly anything in it when I first cleaned it from the bag before adding it to the tank a little gets sucked into the Ehiem vacuum and I empty the filter into a cup the sand stays in the bottom of the cup and the poop and uneaten food floats out when you overflow cup with water and I just put the sand back in the tank and it is so much easier than cleaning gravel my big tank only took an hour to clean and water change on my small tanks it's taken up to 6 hours to do. It's the cleanest and easiest substrate I've ever had and my fish love playing in it.
 

NoahLikesFish

Member
lindacambrose said:
I have it cycling at my sister's house until I get moved
Show a picture
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom