Both my tanks have gone haywire....please help before all my fish die!

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Grits78, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Grits78New MemberMember

Ok so I have had my 55 gallon for a little over a year now and just got the 1.5 gallon last week for my fry. Well slowly but surely my fish are dying off in my big tank,my black female molly has some crazy issues. She will swell up huge for a day or 2 and then just go back to normal her color fades in and out and a big bubble comes up on one eye and then will go away but keeps coming back,she swims like shes dying then goes back to normal,this all has been happening with her for some time now. I did tests on my water in both tanks my 55 gallon is as follows....Ammonia 0,Nitrate 80,Nitrite 0,hardness 150,Alkalinity 80 and P.H. 8.4-everything was perfect till my husband put some fizzing tablets in a while back,I don't know if he did the ick clear fiz tabs or the water conditioner,and he doesn't remember,That killed off many of my fry and other fish the next day,I tried doing a major water change but apparently didn't help. As for my fry tank....it is 1.5 gallons and the tests read as follows....Ammonia 8.0 (but was a much darker green than the paper showed),Nitrate 0,Nitrite .5,Hardness 300,Alkalinity 180 and P.H. 8.4! Please help me with what I need to do to fix these before everything dies in my tank. I am desperate I have never had this happen.Thank you for any possible help.

2. EchostaticWell Known MemberMember

All I know is you have to get the ammonia way down in your small tank. If its empty and you're trying to get it to start the nitrogen cycle, the ammonia needs to be brought down to 5ppm or the bacteria will die off.

3. Fall River

Fall RiverValued MemberMember

Also need to reduce the nitrates in the 55. 80 ppm is much too high. WEEKLY water changes will keep this number in check.

4. EchostaticWell Known MemberMember

Nitrate below 40 is adequate, below 20 is great. But I doubt that's what's causing these issues. What's your tank maintenance schedule like?

5. Fall River

Fall RiverValued MemberMember

@ Echo: I agree it's probably not the primary cause but, it's a good idea to get the basics down.
    If my truck was running weird I'd check the oil or replace the spark plugs before replacing the engine! :;dete
    +1 on the maint. schedule.

6. EchostaticWell Known MemberMember

I agree, it should be fixed even if it isn't the main problem. I jus wanted to throw some hard numbers out there too.

7. OP
    OP
    G

Grits78New MemberMember

at first I just added water as the level got low then I started reading that you are supposed to do the weekly changes so I started doing them and that is when all this started,my tank started getting cloudy and couldn't get it cleared up and then he added the fizzing tablets and now everything is gone crazy. DO i keep up the water changes? Do I need to add something to get all these levels right and as for my small tank it has about 15 guppy fry in it.

8. escapay

escapayWell Known MemberMember

Yes, keep up with the water changes. I would just do water changes and not add stuff besides your water conditioner (Prime has been working awesome for me).

What kind of cloudy is the tank? Like white clouds you would see in the sky? Or brown cloudy? Or something else?

9. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I'll bet it was either an algae or bacterial bloom, since you'd basically been neglecting water changes. Once you introduced fresh water with loads of nutrients, your tank tried to adjust. However, the tablets, whatever they were for, sent you into a tailspin. I would recommend just lots of water changes to get the fizzy out and get things back to normal. Thereafter, 50% weekly changes.

10. cameronpalteValued MemberMember

Your nitrate of 80 is way to high. I recommend immediately doing a 75% water change and do 10% daily changes till it goes to under 20 (under 40 minimum but this is good to start and give you some leeway). You need to now do 20% changes weekly.

As for your fry tank ammonia is 8.0+ and your nitrite is .1? I recommend increasing your tank from 1.5g to 10g. Its seriously way to small and subject to too many small changes. Also treat with prime daily. 8.0+ is seriously deadly.

Is there a chance this came with your water source? Test your water source.

Also 8.4 PH may be slightly too high I try to maintain 7.2-7.8 (unless fish specifically require ph). You may want to slowly lower your PH to ~7.5 no more than .1/every 2 days to minimize your fish's stress. Don't use buffers and those seem to do more harm than good, try to work on it.

*Note*
    I am not 100% sure about the PH please confirm with another member.

11. OP
    OP
    G

Grits78New MemberMember

I finally have both my tanks back in perfect order and the fish have quit dying but can someone tell me who the fin nippers can be? I have several fancy guppies,3 black mollies 2 female 1 male,4 yoyo loaches,albino red tail shark algae eater and an eel. I have a bumblebee goby and tiger barb but pet shop owner said they were tail nippers so I moved them but someone is still nipping my guppies. Any ideas who else it could be?

12. mmolitor87

mmolitor87Well Known MemberMember

The guppies and mollies will nip fins if the male to female ratio is off. 1 male to 3 females if I remember correctly!

13. OP
    OP
    G

Grits78New MemberMember

I have 3 males and 2 females,and some other kind of guppy my husband brought home that to me are just ugly. Never seen them before now.

14. luke355027355027Well Known MemberMember

What kind of eel? If not the eel I would bet the rainbow shark

15. OP
    OP
    G

Grits78New MemberMember

I cant find the name of the eel but he is yellow and hardly ever comes out of hiding,if he does I will get a pic of him he's one my husband picked...Im thinking I should have just done a tank with my guppies only might have been safer for them cause my lyretail barely has a tail left and just got him yesterday.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice