Boseman's Rainbows and Rams

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I wanted to add Boseman's Rainbows and Rams to my 75G tank (which will have 4-6 angelfish with a number of smaller tetras and characins, and perhaps cyprinids), what should I take into consideration? I want the smallest possible numbers of these fish, if they're not shoaling/schooling. Could, for example, 2 rainbows be OK? Or do they need to be in larger groups? The same question is for rams. I am thinking about Bolivian Rams (if I could find them). Plus, would they (rainbows and rams, that is) be compatible with angels and other smaller fishes?

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think rams would be fine in the big angel tank, Ive wanted to get some for a while but I cant find ones with nice enough colours. I think raimbows like to be in some sort of larger group, Im not sure. As to the rams you could probably get several pairs of these, which would probably establish set territories around the massive 75g. Gunnie and Butterfly will probably fill you in on the exact details

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks J-Man. I'd really like the smallest possible numbers of these fish (rainbows and rams). Although I know a 75G isn't a small tank, I still don't want to overstock it. I actually want to keep it understocked. Want my fish to have lots of space.

If it's possible I'd like 2 rainbows and 2 rams, UNLESS there are some shoaling or breeding-related requirements for these species.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For the rams 1 male and 2 females is best(2 males will fight for territory, 1M, 1F will cause the female to be harrassed all the time by the male)
rainbows- you would want at least 4 to have them display their colors to the max.
they would look stunning with the angels and you schooling fish.
I have a feeling after you get the rams you will want more tho
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Carol. OK, so at least 3 rams you say? And if I wanted more, I'd have to get 6, right? And at least 4 rainbows ... OK. Just as long as my tank isn't overstocked. I don't want it too full. One question though: if I'll have 3 rams, won't one be left out and bullied by the other two?

Wouldn't 4-6 rainbows, 4-6 angels, and 3-6 rams be too much for a 75G tank? (Plus many smaller fishes such as perhaps any of these, or a combination of these: Emperor tetras, Diamond tetras, Golden barbs, Phantom tetras or Black Widows, Cherry barbs, Harlequin rasboras, Zebra danios, etc ... - I am still thinking about these.) My neons will stay in the 30G together with the algae eater, and maybe I'll add some new fish to it. The angels will go to the 75G, together with some new fish that I'll buy. What do you think about all this?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As for the rams the extra female won't be bullied, there are times they spawn in harems.
Since the rainbows and the Angels will be your "show" fish I think you should be fine. The rams are small and live at a different level than the rainbows and Angels. All the other smaller fish will fill in. I think you should be fine. Just add your different species of schoolers slowly and stop when you get to teh level of stocked you want to be. After your tank is several months old you might think of adding a bristlenose to take care of alge or several otos.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Spawn in harems? LOL ... sounds interesting, haha!

All right then: rainbows, angels, and rams it will be By the way, at what range do the rams swim? It's a good point you brought up. Selecting fish so that some will swim on the top, some in the middle, and still other species at the bottom ranges is actually very important. This way the tank doesn't seem crowded and the fish don't "bump" onto each other but live peacefully, each in its own range.

As for the algae eaters, I shouldn't be getting them in the beginning? I am afraid a bristlenose may damage some of the smaller plants. I want some very small plants for foreground - do you think a bristlenose would damage them? Otos wouldn't, would they? How many bristlenoses (if they won't break my plants), or how many otos do you recommend for a 75G tank?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My rams were in a 30G long and were basically bottom but would come to the top to eat if the food was especially inviting(worms etc) otherwise waited for the food to come to them. they will spawn on hidden flat rocks or dig pits in the substrate and spawn there. they never bothered my angels or other fish.
I have bristlenose in 4 heavily planted tanks right now and havent noticed them eating the plants. If a leaf is dying they will eat that, I'd start with one and if algae runs rampant another would be enough to keep it in check.
Otos do like to be together and I'd think 6-8 would be enough to keep the 75G clean.
The otos especially need the tank to be mature and maybe have a little algae starting so they have a food source. You don't want them or the BN to know there is an alternate food source(you) right off the bat
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Carol I'd personally rather get a bristlenose since I hear otos are very sensitive and need very good water quality. Plus, one bristlenose instead of 6-8 otos seems better, especially for gravel vac's - otos are so small it would be probably easy to accidentally harm them when cleaning the bottom in such a large tank (well, it is large as for otos). My question about the bristlenose was rather if it would break plants while cleaning them (not if it would eat healthy plants). There will be some pretty small and delicate plants in the tank (grass-like plants in the foreground, probably dwarf sagittaria), and when a larger algae eater like the BN sits on top of these plants it seems he may easily break their fragile leaves. But that's just me wondering outloud. I'd be glad to hear a BN wouldn't break my plants. I'd much rather get a BN than 6-8 otos

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nah they won't even break them they are pretty flexible(the plants). You will even laugh to see them look like their hovering over them when they are really resting on them.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All right then I will get one bristlenose after the tank has been running for a while. If one BN won't be able to take care of algae, I'll get another one.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Let us hope the plan works Well, it's rather a "thanks-to-you-plan", lol. But it's still a while from now. I don't want to rush. I will get everything when I have everything specifically worked out, down to the smallest detail. Don't want any mistakes! A 75 gallon tank is quite large (Though of course it doesn't come close to my dream 125G! lol). The people on Plant Geek probably have had enough of my be now! Seriously.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nah, we love you there!! Seriously! it's nice to see someone checking things out and researching BEFORE they do things.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Carol, it's very nice to hear (I particularly had in mind my stance on Diana Walstad's tanks, lol ... there was so much opposition to them I had a feeling as if I were bothering these people on PlantGeek a lot!)

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Isabella said:
Thank you Carol, it's very nice to hear (I particularly had in mind my stance on Diana Walstad's tanks, lol ... there was so much opposition to them I had a feeling as if I were bothering these people on PlantGeek a lot!)
Trust me, they like the challenge!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
LOL ... OK then. If the like the challenge ... no problemo, hehe

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What about this fish: ? (Click on the image to enlarge). It is called a Praecox Rainbow, but isn't that a different type of a Bosemani Rainbow? It looks exactly the same only the color is different. Bosemani Rainbow's scientific name is "Melanotaenia boesemani" and that of Praecox Rainbow is "Melanotaenia praecox" - that sounds like the same family, AND looks like the same family. Could then these two types be combined / are they compatible? Would they school together? (Or perhaps even breed together?)

Here are some links about them (for information and comparison purposes):

Bosemani Rainbow:
Praecox Rainbow:

Also, check out the main site for rainbows: (all of them are so beautiful, especially the Threadfin and Celebes rainbows). Notice that both Bosemani and Praecox Melanotaenias are in the same "Rainbows" category.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also, 3 other types of rainbows have the same family name:

Australian Rainbow (Melanotaenia splendida):
Turquoise Rainbow (Melanotaenia lacustris):
Axelrodi Rainbow (Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi):

Is it then safe to mix these rainbows with the rainbows I mentioned in my previous post? Would they school and/or interbreed?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom