Bosemani Rainbows Breeding

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by ponitboss, Jul 7, 2019.

1. ponitboss

ponitbossWell Known MemberMember

Ok I need help with raising bosemani and yellow rainbow fry. Ok questions are

What size tank to raise them in
    How high should I have the water
    First food for fry
    Should air flow be high or low or none

And anything else i should know?

2. Katie Allibone

Katie AlliboneNew MemberMember

When I had my fry I put them In a smallish separation tank in my main tank while they were small. This was to easily keep the water fresh without having to change it. Because a lot of mine survived, when they got bigger I moved them into a 10 gallon tank once they got to a size I positively knew they weren't going to get eaten (I gave some away to friend who wanted them) for food I just gave them ground up versions of the food I gave my adult fish, you can get special baby food but I find it’s just a waist of money about the air flow I had a small one in the corner when i moved them to the ten gallon but on a very low setting so it wouldn’t disturb the fish I don’t really know what else to add but if you need anything else just ask and I’ll answer it x

3. OP
    OP
    ponitboss

ponitbossWell Known MemberMember

Ok thanks alot so small aquarium can work I have a couple 5 gallons tanks I can use. Also does the water height make a difference are can I just full it

4. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

5. Katie Allibone

Katie AlliboneNew MemberMember

No the water height doesn’t make any difference

6. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Rainbow fry usually stay at the top 1" of water. While the water height doesn't really make a difference, the fry doesn't produce a lot of waste so filling it to the top might be more work than you need to do.. I had about 50-60 in a 2 liter container for at least 2 weeks w/o a water change. The smaller volume also allowed the fry to find food easier w/o overfeeding the container. If you only fill the 5g tank to half full, you can just add fresh dechlorinated water rather than a water change after about 2 weeks. The fry are still tiny so water changes can be a challenge so just filling is much easier.

A slow airstone is all you need. Too much flow will make the fry swim too much, use up all their energy and kill them.