Bosemani Rainbow Fish

oOturquoiseOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When do they typically start to colour up?

I've had mine for about 3-4 weeks now. They're still pretty small, I think, but I'm sure they have grown since I got them. They're less than 2 inches.

They're shimmery silver with a greenish tint and a darker line down their sides. Sometimes they seem to shimmer purple/blue.

I'm hoping I can get them nice and colourful. The back of my tank is painted black and the substrate is black. I have read that this will help. I have nls pellets but they're still a little too small to eat them (1mm pellets) and I also have fluval bug bites and vitalis flake food that I switch up. Hopefully that diet is good to help with their colour too.

I try to get a picture tomorrow. They're so zippy fast that it's sometimes hard to even see their colour!

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've got some Rainbows a while ago; some Irian Reds, Parkinson's, and Australians. The funny thing is that all of them were purchased at different sizes but they seemed to have colored up generally the same time which had to have been at least a month after purchase. My Parkinsons were the smallest, about 1.5", and had no color for a while. I was so stoked once I noticed some orange and black color coming in. My Irian Reds were silvery-green and then started getting that salmon-red color soon enough. Just give it some time, I'd say they will start coloring once they get around 2.5-3" or so.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is a long period before it becomes obvious. I have bred them several times and feel that my males were clearly identifiable at 1 1/2 inches.

As always, patience is a virtue.

Boeseman's Rainbowfish Melanotaenia boesemani Aquarium 6' Steve Joul 08.10.06 (8) - Copy.jpg

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of the reasons rainbows are expensive is that they are in no hurry to grow. Males will show some colour, as Redshark 1 says, at 1.5 inches, but hey don't get full colour til about 2.5. It can be over a year in age.

Patience is rewarded with this fish.

oOturquoiseOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks everyone

Maybe I have all females?

Going to see if I can get a picture now.

oOturquoiseOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I couldn't get a picture... Here's a blurry video :'(

Please ignore the algae at the back of the tank.

Last edited:

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They still look female at the moment.

It's a good move to have more females than males as the males drive them hard when spawning (which mine did every morning). Also, I found the males were aggressive with one another so best not to have too many.

Maybe you could pick out a couple of bigger males later in a shop if they do turn out to be all females. But for now I'd wait. They will only get stronger and even if they do turn out female they will be able to handle any males you put in as they will be more mature.

I remember once buying ten baby Congo Tetras which all turned out to be females! I was disappointed to say the least. Although the females are perfectly nice fish it was the male's colours that attracted me to the species as with the Boeseman's.

oOturquoiseOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh that's frustrating!! I had a nice mix of males and females when I had congo tetras. They're so pretty!

Unfortunately I don't get any say in that sex I get :'( There's a new pet store in my hometown and they aren't set up to have fish yet but can order them for you. So basically they order them and I go in and pick them up from the store right when they get back from the airport. Living in rural Newfoundland doesn't give me many options. No one can ship directly to me because ups only comes here once a week.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's most likely that you have both males and females as the ratio is normally 50:50 so I'd still wait for that to happen.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the males are worth tolerating the drab females.

It's a pity both sexes aren't equally colourful.

Babsalot

Reaction score
Are they actually two toned? The females have a shimmery green tone that can appear purplish tinged also. Our males have always been either yellow on bottom half when really small to orange as an adult. It's always been easy to tell male colors from females though the females are plain they also are beautiful fish. We have seven boesamani, 4 female and 3 male and from the dull pet store colors to now is incredibly drastic. We feed our fish a varied diet of color enhancing flakes that we replace every 3 months whether we use the whole can or not because they stat losing their nutritional value, assorted frozen foods and we alternate fresh and flakes and adding the frozen food has really enhanced all my fish species colors. It is worth the extra money to buy the best flakes and to add frozen food in my opinion

oOturquoiseOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The fish are still just iridescent. I am thinking they won't be getting much more colourful

I have nls pellets, vitalis flakes, and fluval bug bites. Unfortunately frozen food is not something I can get easily. I live in rural Newfoundland and have to order most things online for this hobby.

Maybe I didn't actually get Bosemanis? I ordered them throb my lfs and picked them up when they got off the plane.

Pescado_Verde

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The fish are still just iridescent. I am thinking they won't be getting much more colourful

I have nls pellets, vitalis flakes, and fluval bug bites. Unfortunately frozen food is not something I can get easily. I live in rural Newfoundland and have to order most things online for this hobby.

Maybe I didn't actually get Bosemanis? I ordered them throb my lfs and picked them up when they got off the plane.
Curious how this turned out. Any update?

oOturquoiseOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No pictures yet... Haha!

They are still mostly just iridescent. But they are definitely orange and blue when the light first comes on. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow

Yehoshua

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When do they typically start to colour up?

I've had mine for about 3-4 weeks now. They're still pretty small, I think, but I'm sure they have grown since I got them. They're less than 2 inches.

They're shimmery silver with a greenish tint and a darker line down their sides. Sometimes they seem to shimmer purple/blue.

I'm hoping I can get them nice and colourful. The back of my tank is painted black and the substrate is black. I have read that this will help. I have nls pellets but they're still a little too small to eat them (1mm pellets) and I also have fluval bug bites and vitalis flake food that I switch up. Hopefully that diet is good to help with their colour too.

I try to get a picture tomorrow. They're so zippy fast that it's sometimes hard to even see their colour!
They take many months to color up. They are not the quickest growers. Take good care of them. I've had mine for maybe 7 years.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom