Boring Electric Blue Ram

ComradeM
He/she is pretty, but also pretty boring. Water quality is good. Is this typical behavior, being boring?

Haasio
Anything specific you're concerned about? Lack of movement, staying on the bottom, etc?

It may help to send pictures.

bizaliz3
What do you consider boring behavior? Is he sulking and not moving around in the tank? Does he interact with you at all?

I have only kept rams for a couple months. But they are very active and very INTERACTIVE (like most cichlids are). Just like puppy dogs trying to get fed when they see me in the room. If I walk up to the tank they are in my face wagging their tails. Feed me feed me.

I would assume yours is not doing those things....because I can't imagine that would be considered boring!! lol

What other fish are in the tank? What size is the tank?

ComradeM
Anything specific you're concerned about? Lack of movement, staying on the bottom, etc?

It may help to send pictures.
Largely staying on the bottom

What do you consider boring behavior? Is he sulking and not moving around in the tank? Does he interact with you at all?

I have only kept rams for a couple months. But they are very active and very INTERACTIVE (like most cichlids are). Just like puppy dogs trying to get fed when they see me in the room. If I walk up to the tank they are in my face wagging their tails. Feed me feed me.

I would assume yours is not doing those things....because I can't imagine that would be considered boring!! lol

What other fish are in the tank? What size is the tank?
Sounds amazing, and like my Betta tank. My ram is in a 20 gallon with a balloon molly, and 5 danios

Ah, yes, lots of plants, two pieces of driftwood

Jenoli42
_IceFyre_
I've always found my rams to be pretty active. They do tend to stay near the bottom, but if yours isn't moving much then that's concerning. Is it breathing heavily? Does it have bright colours? Clamped fins? How warm is your water?

ComradeM
did you acclimate him to your tank? are your water parameters good?
Yes to both. I am always careful. See photo of sluggish guy

I've always found my rams to be pretty active. They do tend to stay near the bottom, but if yours isn't moving much then that's concerning. Is it breathing heavily? Does it have bright colours? Clamped fins? How warm is your water?
I posted a photo below. Little dude looks ok. My water is 80 degrees.

Largely staying on the bottom

Attachments

• CA281C38-803C-45B2-B4BA-D1CF08E7A641.jpeg
    CA281C38-803C-45B2-B4BA-D1CF08E7A641.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 27C8951E-8454-4204-A0EA-F709F3A37441.jpeg
    27C8951E-8454-4204-A0EA-F709F3A37441.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 96
Ulu
If a cichlid does not seem active and hungry, but up to now he's been normal, it may be that he's been overeating and has a bit of constipation.

When this happens they will mope around, sit on the bottom, and even roll down on their sides.

Generally speaking, if you skip a day or two of feeding, he will return to normal.

Personally I think it's very easy for these fish to get constipated and Bloated by eating too much pellet food, but they are generally Little Pigs and will eat until they get sick.

By the way, that is a gorgeous fish, and I would very much like to have a collection of these.

yukondog
His color is good and his fins look good, is the tank well cycled? Just looking at him he looks fine.

ComradeM
Yea
His color is good and his fins look good, is the tank well cycled? Just looking at him he looks fine.[/QUOT

Yeah, it is. Maybe because he is really young?

Also, he eats my moss, but I’m not really sure he’s eating flake food or pellets

W
His color is good and his fins look good, is the tank well cycled? Just looking at him he looks fine.
what about here?

W

what about here?

Attachments

• 6D606AE4-68BB-4E98-9DAB-85240C8E1CFA.jpeg
    6D606AE4-68BB-4E98-9DAB-85240C8E1CFA.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 3FB00A09-98A9-4984-8DBF-96C70A5F5F79.jpeg
    3FB00A09-98A9-4984-8DBF-96C70A5F5F79.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 84
bizaliz3
How long have you had him? If you just got him I'm sure he is just settling in still...

ComradeM
How long have you had him? If you just got him I'm sure he is just settling in still...
Yeah, you’re probably right. He’s pretty new to the tank, about a week.

Yeah, you’re probably right. He’s pretty new to the tank, about a week.
Ok, I feel better about his behavior. I just saw him chase the balloon molly, playfully. I think

Florian Pellet
What color is he? Black and blue or white and gold ?

DoubleDutch
I hate fish that are boring !!!! Should be forbidden for fish to act that way.

Joking : He is AWESOME.

ComradeM
Woah. He/she came to life today. Swimming all around, gleefully. Not a boring fish after all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Top Bottom