Bored with the hobby almost

ButtercuptheOranda

This can apply to my saltwater tank but other than weekly maintenance I don’t know how to get more motivated or if I should be doing something more? Does anyone Else feel like this or is this just me lol I feel like I’m almost not enjoying them as much anymore even though I love my fish

Stripedbass

I get this way from time to time. Usually a new scape gets me back in the groove. You would be surprised what a new piece of driftwood and a quick move around of plants will do. I have no experience with saltwater so I’m not 100% sure what you can do with coral and what not.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

I get this way from time to time. Usually a new scape gets me back in the groove. You would be surprised what a new piece of driftwood and a quick move around of plants will do. I have no experience with saltwater so I’m not 100% sure what you can do with coral and what not.
Thanks that helped a lot and there’s really nothing to do with saltwater because it’s still cycling lol but ya I think some new decor etc will be nice

Upvote 0

Stripedbass

Thanks that helped a lot and there’s really nothing to do with saltwater because it’s still cycling lol but ya I think some new decor etc will be nice
Sometimes when things go to “smoothly” I need a challenge too. I spend 6 months trying to make the perfect balanced tank and once the tank gets where I want it. I always think now what? Maybe try a new plant you haven’t grown before or a plant you have tried and failed to succeed with. I couldn’t get water sprite out of all plants to grow. I must have killed 5 plants before I finally figured it out. Kept me busy for a couple weeks.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Sometimes when things go to “smoothly” I need a challenge too. I spend 6 months trying to make the perfect balanced tank and once the tank gets where I want it. I always think now what? Maybe try a new plant you haven’t grown before or a plant you have tried and failed to succeed with. I couldn’t get water sprite out of all plants to grow. I must have killed 5 plants before I finally figured it out. Kept me busy for a couple weeks.
Ya I can’t get Anubias to grow Lol I’ll definitely try a new plant

Upvote 0

pagoda

Fishkeeping can get monotonous, there is no denying that...maintenance routines can drive you nuts and when the day comes you can feel like "oh here we go again"

As has already been said, changing up a scape can often work wonders on waking up those inner creative juices. Trying something new, especially something unusual...such as making your own aquarium ornaments (not as easy as it sounds especially when what you have in your mind's eye looks nothing like what you just slaved over for the last 4 hours ;))

....I actually start talking to my fish when things get boring.....they are great listeners, even if they are a tad quiet and rarely give advice back ;)

Upvote 0

TClare

I don’t really get bored, but I do find myself frequently wanting more tanks....

Upvote 0

Nickguy5467

summon more plants. works for me

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

I don’t really get bored, but I do find myself frequently wanting more tanks....
Me too lol

Upvote 0

ferg42995

Maybe just enjoy the fruits of your labors for a while. Spend the time you would have spent on the "project" of the aquarium just watching it and looking at it. Soon enough, it will become a project again as something will go awry but until then, enjoy it!

Upvote 0

Dechi

I was bored with my new saltwater tank as well but then I added corals and a tailspot blenny it made it more interesting the just the clown fish.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

I spend so much time working on my multiple tank syndrome that sometimes you lose touch with what all you have accomplished. Best advice I can give, is take 5-10 minutes a day to just enjoy our aquariums. Set up a chair, grab a drink, and just 5-10 minutes to relax and enjoy it. You will remember why its all worth it, if you don't get joy from that anymore then it could always be time for a break.

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

I spend so much time working on my multiple tank syndrome that sometimes you lose touch with what all you have accomplished. Best advice I can give, is take 5-10 minutes a day to just enjoy our aquariums. Set up a chair, grab a drink, and just 5-10 minutes to relax and enjoy it. You will remember why its all worth it, if you don't get joy from that anymore then it could always be time for a break.
That’s a good idea I just set up a nano saltwater tank and I got a bta for my other one so that’s been cool looking at them even mygoldfish

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

I'm not bored of my fish. I love them!

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

I'm not bored of my fish. I love them!
Lucky I mean I love my fish too I just have a lot of free time

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

You could use your free time washing windows, cleaning every nook and cranny in the house, etc.

Upvote 0

Baasy

Ya I can’t get Anubias to grow Lol I’ll definitely try a new plant
If your tank is still cycling like mine, how am I ment to grow anything with the lights off or is it OK for the lights to be on say 3-4 hours a day? I'm only 2 week in to my cycle but its got both nitrites & nitrates so hopefully not too long now, I'm trying to grow java moss on a rock in the corner to help with the nitrates as iv got a Palembang humpback dragon puffer waiting on me at my LFS, I've not used any fertiliser yet as I'm not sure if it will do anything to my cycle, I've still not had a bacterial bloom ither
Go get yourself a 5-10 gallon and maybe do a nice ecosystem no filter no nothing,a self contained project with maybe 1 or 2 Guppy's...saw one on YouTube it looked cool

Upvote 0

Hellfishguy

Watching a pair of cichlids shepherding a new batch of fry around the tank never gets old.

Upvote 0

Fisch

If it gets boring because the Amazon Sword gets too big and the re-scape does not work out, and my fish are swimming around all healthy...A bigger tank and more fish may help :)
Think about all the problems this forum deals with....boredom is good

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SydK
  • Question
Replies
Views
Guppypuffercichlidnerd
Replies