Bored with my tank....

Gwenz
...not the keeping the fish part, but the way its decorated. I've had the 15gal the same way over a year and I think its time for a change, but don't know what to do. I'm not very creative so any ideas welcome!

I like lots of plants, but I'm going to get silk ones but I don't know about a main feature or how to set it out. :/

THe pic is how it looks now.

thanks for any ideas you have

Gwenz ;D

P.S.- 1st pic is how its suposed to look, 2nd pic is it covered in algae because every time I clean it, it just comes straight back again! >

atmmachine816
Can you resize those, when you click on the thumbnail they get HUGE and it's too hard to see what's going on there.

Shrimpy
How about a log in the center and plants surrounding it. That's all I have right now.

I'll get back to u on this..... hopefully

COBettaCouple
I think you need to find doctor who figures and go with a theme of the Doctor vs. the Daleks. maybe one of those little ceramic signs with "EX-TERM-INATE!" on it.

what about a rock formation with holes in it for the fish to swim through and around? like in the picture attached.

fishlover1
HI this is off topic but I noticed you have Leopard Danios? One looked like it had a "larger than normal" belly. This could just be the camera angle but I was wondering if it was pregnant? I have two no idea if they are male or female but mine looks like it could be pregnant not sure.. But about the decor I think a log, or some pieces of stacked wood to create a little place for swimming through.

Neville
...not the keeping the fish part, but the way its decorated. I've had the 15gal the same way over a year and I think its time for a change, but don't know what to do. I'm not very creative so any ideas welcome!

I like lots of plants, but I'm going to get silk ones but I don't know about a main feature or how to set it out. :/

THe pic is how it looks now.

thanks for any ideas you have

Gwenz ;D

P.S.- 1st pic is how its suposed to look, 2nd pic is it covered in algae because every time I clean it, it just comes straight back again! >

I think u should change the gravels, Put white gravels; trust me it will look much better. u can also put a shipwreck; they look nice too, looks like underwater ocean!!!!!!

Gwenz
Can you resize those, when you click on the thumbnail they get HUGE and it's too hard to see what's going on there.

OMG ye! I didn't realise how big they were! sorry bout that!

How about a log in the center and plants surrounding it. That's all I have right now.

when u say "log" - what type of log do mean? I like the idea of having one thing in the middle and plants around.

HI this is off topic but I noticed you have Leopard Danios? One looked like it had a "larger than normal" belly. This could just be the camera angle but I was wondering if it was pregnant? I have two no idea if they are male or female but mine looks like it could be pregnant not sure.. But about the decor I think a log, or some pieces of stacked wood to create a little place for swimming through.

Hi! yea I used to have 2 leopard danios. only one now, but the other did lay eggs, but they got eaten by the others. Be carefull tho (maybe move her?) - mine got chased so badly that it got stressed and it died a few days later :-\ .

I think u should change the gravels, Put white gravels; trust me it will look much better. u can also put a shipwreck; they look nice too, looks like underwater ocean!!!!!!

Hmm... I've always like the look of white gravel. Might try that... I wonder if I could find a shipwreck anywhere? I'll have to take a look in my lfs. Will changing the gravel effect the tank so I'll maybe have a mini-cycle?

So far then, your ideas (which I really like) are :
1) change the gravel to white
2) get maybe a rock formation with holes or a "log" for fish to swim through
3) have plants around the main feature (#2).

I like this idea so far thanks every one.

Gwenz

P.S. - I've re-sized the pics

Neville
yeah, that's a problem, u have to go threw the cycling process again if u change the gravels, I had to when I changed my gravels, none of my fish died fortunately.

Gwenz
lucky. hmm I don't mind cycling again. the tank needs a good cleaning anyway!

I might just start again with the tank. the 3 fish in there can go to the 7.5gal until its ready

Gwenz

Tazmiche
gwenz do you have a wilkinson store where you are? I went into one here 2 weeks ago and they had tank decs that were a good price and nice too. also had a a good make air pump under ?10. I paid almost ?30 for mine.

I changed the gravel in my guppy tank and just changed decs around, it made a big difference. was great fun.

atmmachine816
I would get driftwood.

If you change your gravel, just keep your filter media in some tank water and take some of the old gravel, stick it in a panyhose and hang it under the filter output and it will keep your tank cycled. O and make sure you have the old gravel in the tank water while you change your gravel.

Shrimpy
You know a log they can swim in and out of... oh and by log I mean one of those random shaped ones

Gwenz
Shrimpy - Do u mean Driftwood?

Atm - Yea I like the thought of Driftwood. I've heard lots needs doing to it before putting in the tank tho. Am I right?

Whats the best way to change the gravel? Any tips?

Tazmiche - I know there's a Wilkinsons in Cardiff. I could take a look. there's probably one closer but I just don't know about it. They seem to be everywhere! lol I'll have to take a look. Thanks for that tip.

Ooo 1 more question. The water flow from my filter isn't as strong as it used to be. It uses a power head, and I wondered could it be clogged up or something? Is it possible to clean powerheads? If so how do I do it?

thanks

Gwenz ;D

atmmachine816
Shrimpy - Do u mean Driftwood?

Atm - Yea I like the thought of Driftwood. I've heard lots needs doing to it before putting in the tank tho. Am I right?

Depends on the type. By me I can buy pieces directly from a tank so all I do is put it in my tank. If you buy basic driftwood then all you might have to do is let it sit in a bucket for a couple weeks until it is soaked and sinks, that's what my aunt did.

Whats the best way to change the gravel? Any tips?

Put some tank water in a 5 gallon bucket, put a heater in and bring the water to about the same temp as in your tank. Put a airstone in the bucket. Put the fish in the bucket. Take a pantyhose filled with gravel and filter media and also stick it in the bucket. Drain the tank, scoop out the gravel. Fill the tank up halfway with new water, then add the washed new gravel, add decorations, get filter going. Once water clears up a bit add the fish, heater if not submergible type, if it is submergible type add when you add the filter. Then pour in the rest of the water from the bucket and make sure that you put the filter media back in and hang the old gravel in panyhose by the filter output and you shouldn't have any mini-cycle, but just test next couple days just to be safe.

Tazmiche - I know there's a Wilkinsons in Cardiff. I could take a look. there's probably one closer but I just don't know about it. They seem to be everywhere! lol I'll have to take a look. Thanks for that tip.

Ooo 1 more question. The water flow from my filter isn't as strong as it used to be. It uses a power head, and I wondered could it be clogged up or something? Is it possible to clean powerheads? If so how do I do it?

Yes, depends on type. I have a maxi-jet and you just take the parts apart and pull the top off and part of the bottom to clean impeller and tubes. Look in your instruction manual.

thanks

Gwenz ;D

Gwenz
Thanks ATM!

Sounds like a good way of switching the gravel, only I can't run the filter until the tank is full of water. :-\ The filter is part of the tank. Its a Juwel tank. The heater is also a part of the filter. I'll think of something tho. ;D

I wonder where I could get basic driftwood... It would be easier. Any ideas of anywhere online maybe? My lfs' are rubbish and don't stock anything like that.

I'll have to see what I can do with the Powerhead - see if I can clean it. It didn't have instructions! >

Ok i've kindof decided on how i'd like the tank now thanks to all of you. Now I'm wondering about fish... The 1 neon I have is going to be moved to the 7.5gal, + from what I can tell the 2 danios don't have long left. they have curved backs (old age) like some of my others did and they died after a week or 2. I'm trying to keep them happy for the time.

I'd like some tiger barbs and i've figured i'd have room for 6 in there just, but I'd like to have some algae eater too. Theres always algae in that tank so they'd always have food, but I don't have room for tiger barbs and ottos or some other algae eater. do i?

Gwenz

COBettaCouple
maybe shrimp would work for cleaners?

Gwenz
Shrimp? where would I get them? + what do they look like?

Gwenz

Shrimpy
ummmm... sure. But I was thinking of the wood they sell at me lfs and it comes in random shapes

armadillo

Gwenz
HI Gwenz. They sell them at LFS's, but am sure your guppies would have them as lunch.

atmmachine816
Thanks ATM!

Sounds like a good way of switching the gravel, only I can't run the filter until the tank is full of water. :-\ The filter is part of the tank. Its a Juwel tank. The heater is also a part of the filter. I'll think of something tho. ;D

I wonder where I could get basic driftwood... It would be easier. Any ideas of anywhere online maybe? My lfs' are rubbish and don't stock anything like that.

I'll have to see what I can do with the Powerhead - see if I can clean it. It didn't have instructions! >

Ok i've kindof decided on how i'd like the tank now thanks to all of you. Now I'm wondering about fish... The 1 neon I have is going to be moved to the 7.5gal, + from what I can tell the 2 danios don't have long left. they have curved backs (old age) like some of my others did and they died after a week or 2. I'm trying to keep them happy for the time.

I'd like some tiger barbs and i've figured i'd have room for 6 in there just, but I'd like to have some algae eater too. Theres always algae in that tank so they'd always have food, but I don't have room for tiger barbs and ottos or some other algae eater. do i?

Gwenz

In that case just fill the whole tank up, the water doesn't matter a whole lot and if you don't have a heater for the bucket just make sure your quick in changing the water.

So are you going to have just tiger barbs and oto's then?

COBettaCouple

Gwenz

you could get them local or order them.. i'm not sure if the tiger barbs bother with shrimp, but if not then amano shrimp are supposed to be really good or cherry shrimp.

Gwenz
Thanks. Do shrimp eat algae then?

ATM - Do you have any other fish in mind for me then? I like Tiger barbs + would like something to eat algae so I just automatically thought of ottos but might get shrimp instead.

Armadillo - My guppies would be in a different tank.

Gwenz

ecnaj143
You can do an Alien theme :;z

Aliens seem to be a big thing around here

COBettaCouple
Yea, shrimp are algae eaters and I believe the amanos are one of the best at it.

Gwenz
ooo. will have to keep a look out. How big do they get? how many could I have with 6 tiger barbs?

Gwenz

COBettaCouple
ooo. will have to keep a look out. How big do they get? how many could I have with 6 tiger barbs?

Gwenz

.. check this out and PM Dino about the shrimp and your barbs. He knows a lot more than me about shrimp and will give you better answers.

Gwenz
thanks for that link dave. I will PM Dino about the shrimp.

Gwenz

atmmachine816
The barbs might eat/peck at the shrimp, best to ask Dino. I would think 6 tiger barbs and 2-3 otos would be find as long as you keep up on your water changes.

Gwenz
that's what I thought. I've PM'd Dino anyway.

Gwenz

Tazmiche
I have an armano shrimp in with my barbs, all ok there except he/she or it has discovered flake and cucumber so algae only a snack!!

Bought another today for Guppy tank, I'll let you know how it goes.

Where in wales are you?

COBettaCouple
Gwenz lives in an intersection.. it's really sad, she's so nice.. I wish she had a home. :'( :;a

Tazmiche
Gwenz lives in an intersection.. it's really sad, she's so nice.. I wish she had a home. :'( :;a

What???

COBettaCouple

What???

lol.. sorry, you must've missed it. when Gwenz first put her pin in, she put it on the road at an intersection.

Gwenz
lol. (look at the member map )

Tazmiche - I live in the south a place called Brynsadler. Or lets say it about 20mins from cardiff. If that's easier. ;D Do u just have 1 in each tank? Do the barbs leave him alone?

thanks

Gwenz

Tazmiche
!!!!!

Yes just one in each tank and yes the barbs are fine with it. I have to admit I haven't seem the one in the guppy tank since last night but there are lots of plants in there and he is still small.

I live on the Wirral.20 mins from Chester.

COBettaCouple

lol.. well it USED to be in an intersection back when we lived on a tennis court.

Tazmiche

lol.. well it USED to be in an intersection back when we lived on a tennis court.

Lol, I lived up a tree when I first pinned!!

Gwenz
lol thanks Tazmiche. I spoke to Dino and he said I could get 5-10 in the 15gal with 6 tiger barbs. All I have to do now is figure out where to get them from.

Gwenz

COBettaCouple
come over and visit us gwenz and we'll give you some.

i'm glad you came down out of the tree michelle.. hard to have bettas living in a tree.

Gwenz
I wish it was that easy!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FitSoldier
Replies
Views
juniperlea
Replies
Views