Bored of Fishkeeping already?

Austin {Aquarist}
Hey everybody I've had my first tank for about 6 months and my second tank for about 1 month. So far I've had guppies ottos plecos danios and frogs. So far no fish has really caught my interest. I also seem to have a Feng ShuI issue in my new 25 gallon tank 0.o It really isn't that pretty to look at even though I have 4 really cool plants. Anybody have any advice to spice up my tank?

also anybody have any cool fish?

Tsunami35
Ive found that its impossible to get your tank looking how you really want it to. I think its one of those hobbies that you either get bored of right away or never. I just buy a couple of new plants every so often and rearrange things to keep it new. The plus with live plants is that everything it always changing, I think it keeps it interesting. Then again, Ive been in the hobby less than 6 mos. too, so maybe someone whos been doing this for a long time can contribute more.

sirdarksol
Not sure what to tell you. To me, every fish has something to offer, and so even if a tank doesn't have the "perfect" stock list for me, I like it.
What do you have for plants? Do you have a digital camera? If we could see a picture of the 25g it would make things easier.
Another thought is that plants usually take quite awhile to grow into their own.

Dino
After 28 years and 120 tanks, I still am not bored.

Guess it's just me.

Chief_waterchanger
I've been in the hobby for almost 2 years and share those 120 tanks with Dino and I've yet to even feel the first hint of boredom, but I am an odd case. I enjoy studying the psychological side of any living thing. So to me fish are a world of knowledge that we've yet to unlock. If I didn't have to work I could easily waste hours just sitting infront of a single tank to watch the behavior of the fish and leisurely study their interactions.

If you find yourself bored with it, perhaps it is not the hobby for you. There is also the possibility that you would enjoy a larger tank that has more possibilities, but that's a hard call for anyone but you to answer for yourself.

COBettaCouple
So far, I've found every fish to be interesting. You could try going with a theme of decor and plants to fit the region for the fish in the tank. Maybe some smaller African Cichlids?

MissMTS
I would research different types of fish until you find something that grabs your attention. That's what I did when I was stocking my first tank. There are a lot of fish books and online sites out there to give you information. If you could let us know what you are looking for in a fish we could maybe give you some more specific direction. The beauty of fish tanks is that they are ever-changing. This applies to the stock list of fish and plants as well as decor. Play with your tank set-up. Don't let it frustrate you. Get inspired. I have found that looking through pics of other people's tanks helped me out. Maybe you should take a look at the member galleries.

seedy
Maybe you need something different , have you considered an axolotl ?

miker
Do a lot of research and try some new fish and shrimp.

Tavel
you just need more tanks! I have three aquariums, an aquatic turtle, a box turtle, and a toad terrarium...there's ALWAYS something going on!

Allie
If you can afford and have the space for a bigger tank. I'd go with Lake MalawI africans. Very busy tank.

Sabi
Fish have never failed to interest me. Every single one has its own personality. However, I can say that I prefer keeping certain types to others and find certain ones more interesting than others. I'm in the fish hobby for 6 years and treasure a dream of a few tank setups I'd love to have, in the future.
If your fish don't interest you, why not do research on others, maybe there's another type out there that would interest you. But then, not all people find fish interesting. I started out with my siblings, none of them care about fish now.

Narcicius
I would try to get a pet fish rather than a nice looking tank, find a fish with a ton of personality, you'll get way more attatched if you have less fish, other than that spend more time experiencing and studying fish, rather than watching them.

lalynya
go get betta =) Honestly I've had tanks forever but this is the first time i've gotten really into it..I think before I owned them I had them just because they had allways been a part of my life...Really if anyone has ever read the book the little prince you learn that the more work you put into something the more important it becomes..For me it was when the tank got a leak back in OK and I took forever to reseal it..takeing off the old stuff and having to smell the horrible new stuff...for some reason putting all the work into it just got me really involved with what was going on. IDK give yourself minI projects to do with the tank..stuff that is somewhat hard work but easy to do because it gives you a sense of pride in the end and then you become more involved.

MissMTS
go get betta =) Honestly I've had tanks forever but this is the first time i've gotten really into it..I think before I owned them I had them just because they had allways been a part of my life...Really if anyone has ever read the book the little prince you learn that the more work you put into something the more important it becomes..For me it was when the tank got a leak back in OK and I took forever to reseal it..takeing off the old stuff and having to smell the horrible new stuff...for some reason putting all the work into it just got me really involved with what was going on. IDK give yourself minI projects to do with the tank..stuff that is somewhat hard work but easy to do because it gives you a sense of pride in the end and then you become more involved.

Awww! I love that book. My husband and I had a passage read at our wedding. Anyways, it really does have a good message. Once you truly devote yourself to something, it really becomes a part of you. So, if you are really wanting to stay interested in the hobby, dive headfirst into it and give it everything you've got!

SereneReyn
well, there are certain fish that I would never choose to own. guppies, mollies, platies, and bettas, and goldfish are all in the top 10. I just can't get into them. certain other fish, are 'service' fish... not much in the personality department, but they perform an important function in the tank - clean up duty.

spend some real time checking out fish at the pet store before you choose something, is what i'd suggest. I like fish that'll eat out of my hand, or come right up to my arm when i'm cleaning and try to eat my freckles... fish that 'follow' you around the room... the ones that look right back at you when you're watching them... or sometimes even those that are SO busy with their own agendas that they aren't even aware that there's a world outside their tank (kuhlis!)...

voiceless_kat
I sometimes wish I could be LESS interested in this hobby!!! My guppies started as an experiment, ended up with fry, so I got to follow the whole cycle. I think they are wonderful, busy, curious little guys. I chose the fish in my 55 for their simplicity since I was new to the hobby: ............and yet they are amazing to me in their whole little aqua world with its unique pecking order!!! I really shouldn't admit to the time I spend watching 5 fish tanks.

It's fun to change up tank decs and add new plants, to get a new look if you are getting bored.

Perhaps trying a different kind of fish would make things more interesting for you...the kribs are soooooooooooo cool!

I hope you don't give up quite yet, but if you still aren't finding it is what you have a passion for...that is perfectly ok.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop as to how you - and your fish - are doing.

Remember.."Do what you love and love what you do!"

Val

Narcicius
Yeah keep us updated with the feeling your getting, no matter the issue.

Ntruder1400
I second what Allie said about the MalawI cichlids. My current tank is too small for them, but what beautiful fish they are! From what I have read about them, and seen in youtube videos, they are quite active and interesting to watch.

Dino and CWC - how could someone get bored with 120 tanks??? If tank #1 is boring for you, just go to tank #2, etc, etc, etc....

lovemyfroggies
If your really bored I would just get out of the hobby and find the fish a good home. I see that often in the fish hobby. That is why you see so many used empty tanks out there. Although there are a lot of us who love it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RHONDA PIMENTEL
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
  • Question
Replies
Views
Willj626