Bored Betta?

Bettalad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm starting to get worried about my betta. He’s not active unless I’m in front of the tank, otherwise he’s just resting near the top of the tank. Usually when I look over to my tank it’s not unusual to see him swimming around, being an active fish. His stomach is a little bloated, so I’m fasting him besides boiled peas. He’s in a 40 gallon cycled tank with 8 Cory cats a pleco and a snail. There’s a fake silk plant near the top he rests on and two large pieces of driftwood in the tank along with a scuba head hide. The tank is not heavily planted.

V-Star

Reaction score
Probably just the food. Bettas have really really small stomachs. Feed about the size of five betta pellets per day, or the same amt with whatever food. Also bettas have personality. Yours may just prefer relaxing at the top. Mine likes the bottom. And I know people whose bettas are inquisitive. They are great fish

Fish0n

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
40 g is pretty big for a betta so resting near the top sounds to me like it would be pretty normal in a tank that size.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What a 40 gallon big for bettas, nonsense. Mine are in a 75 and some explore some don't. Some stay towards the bottom and others more by the top. Fun fact they don't have to breath air that only comes into play in an oxygen deprived tank.

NanaW

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine plays part time up top and some times just lounges on the bottom depends on his mood then goes nuts when I come up to Tank loves to bite my finger lol

Authmal

Reaction score
david1978 said:
What a 40 gallon big for bettas, nonsense. Mine are in a 75 and some explore some don't. Some stay towards the bottom and others more by the top. Fun fact they don't have to breath air that only comes into play in an oxygen deprived tank.
Anabantoids are obligate air breathers. They need access to air.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The author is incorrect. Gouromis do need to breath air how ever bettas are Facultative air breathers so they can but don't need to.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think fish can be obligate air breathers if it has gills.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Supposedly Gouromis can drown.bettas were classified as obligate air breathers for years but newer studies find they are not.

Casper&Mushu

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
david1978 said:
Well said, no tank is too big for a fish, though some fish might get lonely, bigger is still better. He may just be at the top due to excess unused space.

Fish0n

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
david1978 said:
All I was trying to say when I said 40 g is large for a betta is if the betta finds an area they like it would be natural that the frequent that area more. Especially since bettas like to rest on plants in smaller aquariums that spot sounded natural for the fish to prefer. Not that it was too big for a betta.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish0n said:
All I was trying to say when I said 40 g is large for a betta is if the betta finds an area they like it would be natural that the frequent that area more. Especially since bettas like to rest on plants in smaller aquariums that spot sounded natural for the fish to prefer. Not that it was too big for a betta.
It was meant to sound sarcastic. Guess it didnt come threw that way.

Authmal

Reaction score
david1978 said:
Supposedly Gouromis can drown.bettas were classified as obligate air breathers for years but newer studies find they are not.
Any citations? I'd like to read some of those studies. I'm curious if it's bettas as a species in general, or betta splendens in particular.

New Threads