bored betta...

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My betta looks pretty bored like he sits and stares at me most of the day right now. kinda funny but he looks like he wants something to do...Is there anything that I can do to keep him entertained? Something that can be left in his tank so he can play with it whenever he wants? I don't know of any such thing so I'm jw or would it best to get him some tank mates like cories i think i keep seeing ppl have with bettas anyother others that would be good to keep him company and the size of a tank that I would need.

thanx

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So far as I know there are no Betta toys. You will be very very surprised when he is in a bigger tank how much more active he is. It is like being in shoes that are too tight right now. He is not wanting to move. As far as tankmates go Cories need to be in shoals (groups of 3 or more) and they can get to 3 inches. The recommended tank size is 15 gallons to put Cories with a Betta. Anything from 5 to 10 gallons you could put Otos or Snails in. You will not want to have more than one snail and it could be a large one (Mystery Snail) as they do not add more than their share of environmental load to the tank. Otos could be kept in a pair or group of 3 in either tank.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok well here is my concern with snails, I plan on getting Inari some Live plants unless they require huge amounts of and energy if thats the case they he will have to live with plastic ones that is my one concern with snails especially mystery snails.

thanx

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have Mystery Snails (Albino or Ivory) in every one of my tanks and they are all planted tanks and I have had no problem with any of them.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
o ok i was just concerned that they would devour my plants which would really make me mad i think if that were to happen i would be have escargo for dinner that night

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
You know, I found something online about a year ago that was a whole DVD set about teaching your betta how to do tricks (like play soccer for example). It even showed a picture of a little goal net in the fish tank ... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I SO wanted to get it but I'm pretty sure it was a scam. I was really curious though!!!!!! (Ok, I still am a little bit ...)

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i think i would have to see someone's betta doing it in rl b4 i bought it, but that would be kinda cool!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Somewhere here I read a post a long time ago about someone boiling a popsicle stick and letting his Betta have it to play with and that they like to see it flip and flop around in the tank. You would have to boil it to make sure it was clean and to make it sink, but I wouldn't go out and BUY toys or DVD's or anything until you saw your betta play with an inexpensive toy like this. I don't think my little ones would go for it.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas (and fish in general) are very intelligent. I have read articles about people training their Betta to do complicated tricks (yes including soccer). The only thing I would worry about is that they do tricks for food, so you have to be very careful you are not overfeeding.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very good point!

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yeah i would think that would the same u have to reward most if not all animals with something and for bettas well u can't scratch them behind the ears very well 8)

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
inari said:
yeah i would think that would the same u have to reward most if not all animals with something and for bettas well u can't scratch them behind the ears very well  8)
Well, I used to have a Betta that would let me pet him. I think thats because I resuced him from a pet store and he looked like he was about to die. So I bought him, treated him everyday. Hand fed him and everything. He was even happier when he was moved to the 10gal. Then he dissappeared. :'(

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
what do u mean disappeared...in the tank?

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I said goodnight to him one night. I woke up the next morning and he was gone. I think my wife might of accidently did something, but is to ashamed to tell me. I mean, I love my fish, but I love my wife more, she can tell me if she accidently did something. Now if she did something on purpose, then I'll be really mad.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think I would like to try the popsicle stick with Raspy. How exactly do I make it sink once I've boiled it?

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
to weigh the popsickle stick down if u have any resin ornaments tie it down or bury it part way
down in the gravel either should work

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When you boil wood it makes it swell with water. It should sink on its own. That is what makes driftwood sink. I have not done this but I think the whole reason you boil it is so that it will sink and he can play with it without it being tied down. If you do try it be sure to let us know how it works, I am really curious.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
ecnaj143 said:
inari said:
yeah i would think that would the same u have to reward most if not all animals with something and for bettas well u can't scratch them behind the ears very well  8)
Well, I used to have a Betta that would let me pet him. I think thats because I resuced him from a pet store and he looked like he was about to die. So I bought him, treated him everyday. Hand fed him and everything. He was even happier when he was moved to the 10gal. Then he dissappeared. :'(
Dante lets me pet him! I don't do it every day, but sometimes after feeding he hangs around at the top of the water, and I reach down and very gently stroke him a couple of times. He also likes this after a partial water change.

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How special! It shows a really great rapport with your little friend. Congratulations.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
How special!  It shows a really great rapport with your little friend.  Congratulations.

Rose
Thank you. I was worried at first that I might damage his slime coat, but when I found how much he liked it I felt safer in doing it.

S.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom