Boraras - Which One?

Robert Fletcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
About 5 months back I bought 15 fish that was supposed to be Boraras brigittae (Chilli rasbora) but I have serious doubts. I am suspecting they are Boraras urophthalmoides (Least Raspora), can someone please ID them.
I have uploaded a picture of the whole of the shrimp tank. You will find one right at the back actually there is another in the plants. Very skittish will not usually come out when the lights on. You can see some Neon tetra's and Harlequin rasboras there is also a few RCS you can compare with. Tank size 14" cube.
IMG_20180518_072758.jpg

Robert Fletcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fanatic said:
Hello Robert!
I see this the fish you mean?
View attachment 439094
Yes that's the one. This is the first time I have been able to take a photo of one let alone the 15. They are nocturnal. There has been some improvement since I added the other fish.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Robert Fletcher said:
Yes that's the one. This is the first time I have been able to take a photo of one let alone the 15. They are nocturnal. There has been some improvement since I added the other fish.
I personally don’t see a Chili Rasbora, that’s a faded white fish.

Robert Fletcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fanatic said:
I personally don’t see a Chili Rasbora, that’s a faded white fish.
Thanks but can you elaborate on that. As I said I have had them for 5 months they have grown a little bit. Looking at pictures it looks like a Least rasbora (Boraras urophthalmoides).

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Robert Fletcher said:
None of the Boraras are nocturnal. If they're hiding all day there must be a reason for it. They look very grey. Are they in hard water? They want soft acid water to look their most colourful.

Robert Fletcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coptapia said:
None of the Boraras are nocturnal. If they're hiding all day there must be a reason for it. They look very grey. Are they in hard water? They want soft acid water to look their most colourful.
Water: TDS 230, pH6.8,KH3, GH8. I was trying to change my avatar this morning and I uploaded a picture of a Least Rabora and my matches exactly. When I have fed live daphnia and the lights are out then the whole school is out hunting making short work of them. I have read where the Least Rasbora often gets sold as Chilli Rasbora they don't develop color. I scaped the tank with lots of hiding spots for the shrimp made up of small rocks and moss. These little fish do seem to like this environment.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom