Book Recommendations

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi y'all, Im starting my job with the DEC this weekend and unfortunately/ fortunately at my job I may go hours at a time with no interaction/ duties to preform. So to fill the time I would love some books to read! What are your favorite books? What are the books you feel everyone should read at least once? I would love to hear from you!

DanielZebra32798

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've always liked fiction books. If you don't mind really long books, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is really good. Is there a specific genre you're looking for?

Blue1314

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The best series I've ever read are Dragons in our Midst, Oracles of Fire, and Children of the Bard. If you're interested in reading them, they are all part of a larger plot so read each series in order.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
probably the best books ive read that you can put and pick up without getting annoyed are terry pratchetts diskworld series.

edit. i should say too annoyed because someone interrupting you when your reading is always annoying

RuralGuppykeeper

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Mouse That Roared by Leonard Wibberley is a relaxing and funny book to read, even though it has nothing to do with mice.

OP
Willj626

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DanielZebra32798 said:
I've always liked fiction books. If you don't mind really long books, the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is really good. Is there a specific genre you're looking for?
I love fiction- especially sci-fi, but I also love reading just about every other genre too. I like books with really engaging plots and beautiful storytelling usually- I really like books that pull you in and make you think. I'm a philosophy major so I also love reading philosophical books and plays and essays- Albert Camus is my favorite writer. My all time favorite book is The 13th tale, if that helps.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The lord of the flies.
All of the Harry Potter books.
The Hobbit,lord of the rings series.

smee82 said:
probably the best books ive read that you can put and pick up without getting annoyed are terry pratchetts diskworld series.

edit. i should say too annoyed because someone interrupting you when your reading is always annoying
Being interrupted while reading drives me insane.

OP
Willj626

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wrench said:
The lord of the flies.

Unfortunately I've already read all of those, Thank you though!!!

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
The lord of the flies.

ill pass on harry potter if you plagiarized as much in school as she did writting that you would get kicked out. the lord of the rings was ok but i was never a fan of the hobbit.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you like science fiction David Weber is by far my favorite author. He hasn't written many short books, but they're all good. Most of his work is pure science fiction, leaning toward military, but his War God series is pure fantasy.

He's probably best known for his Honor Harrington series. He's a little unusual in that the main characters in at least two of his series are female.

DanielZebra32798

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Willj626 said:
I love fiction- especially sci-fi, but I also love reading just about every other genre too. I like books with really engaging plots and beautiful storytelling usually- I really like books that pull you in and make you think. I'm a philosophy major so I also love reading philosophical books and plays and essays- Albert Camus is my favorite writer. My all time favorite book is The 13th tale, if that helps.
Did you ever read The Stranger by Albert Camus? I really liked that book for some reason.

Also, I've never read it myself, but have you tried the Dune series? it's supposed to be the pinnacle of science fiction

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DanielZebra32798 said:
Also, I've never read it myself, but have you tried the Dune series? it's supposed to be the pinnacle of science fiction
I read it many years ago. I've been reading science fiction for over 40 years and like a wide variety of stuff, but I wasn't crazy about it. Different people have different tastes.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have quite a few 25 year old Aquarium magazines from raffle prices in my local club . It’s hilarious to read articles by a young George Farmer quoting the inch per gallon rule. A lot of the advertising is fascinating .
As part of my membership my club has an on line edition of Amazonas Magazine. That’s a good read as well.

DanielZebra32798

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
I read it many years ago. I've been reading science fiction for over 40 years and like a wide variety of stuff, but I wasn't crazy about it. Different people have different tastes.
I definitely agree with you on that. I've been wanting to read it, but I just haven't gotten myself to. I love reading, but sometimes starting a really long series can feel like work, and I don't like it when that happens.

OP
Willj626

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FishMommer said:
Anything by Dostoyevsky! And they can be long too.
I loved crime and punishment!

DanielZebra32798 said:
Did you ever read The Stranger by Albert Camus? I really liked that book for some reason.
I read it in high school along with The Fall and they were what started my love affair with continental philosophy. Right now I'm reading the myth of sisyphus and I'm enjoying it.

New Threads