Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PharmDawgRx, Apr 18, 2017.

1. P

PharmDawgRx New Member Member

Hey Everyone. So I got my son his first aquarium about a month ago, and ever since then I have been totally hooked. It's all so fascinating, and coming from a background in science, I just want to know more and more. My wife calls in my tank now, lol. Anyway... my ultimate goal is to one day do a planted freshwater aquarium that's 75 to 100 gallons. However, before I do that, I want to read a couple good books to help me in my planning and to prepare me for whatever comes up. I want to do this right. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, lol. So what books do you recommend? I've heard a lot of great things about The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diane Walstead. The only negative I've heard is that it's older and doesn't touch on some newer technologies like CO2 injection. What are all of your recommendations?

2. vijay3242

vijay3242 Well Known Member Member

I am glad you are fascinated with fish as the rest of us. As for the books I sadly can't recommend a lot. Most of them were written a while ago and have not advanced with the times. There are also not a lot of newly published books. So some of your best resources will be on here or on other forums.

3. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Agree with above! Many of the books out there are old. I own the Planted Aquarium book!

This is the great thing about Forums, websites, and Youtube since they keep up to date with modern information and technique, which have replaced aquarium books.

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

A LFS guy lent me a book called "The ABC of the aquarium" when I first started out, I think it is old and it was written by a French dude which name I forgot. It is a pretty basic guide, not gonna lie but I liked it.
    There is also a good book which seems to be supercool but is more in the vet side written by some "Noga" guy, talks about fish disease.
    I dont know if fish books have been replaced, as an example I can talk about chess, which I have played for a long time. There are a lot of chess forums on the internet and tons of videos, they are helpful for beginners but once you get decently good at the game you realize most forums, articles and videos are semi-crappy, and that is where you start investing in books, I dont know if we could say the same about fish...
    The only thing I can tell you which applies to everything is to research a lot and look for different points of view, even if they sound crazy or you disagree with them, read about those too.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The use of books gives you a better base knowledge so you can identify the bad information on the internet. The fact is, the basics really haven't changed in 30 years or more. And I think a newcomer is better off learning the basics than jumping straight into the high end stuff. That's how most people make mistakes, by trying to go from noob to expert in "one easy lesson". It can't be done.

6. Nadiboy

Nadiboy Valued Member Member

What's a "book"?
    No, but seriously, find some good sites/forums(forums CAN be iffy, being that you don't know WHO it is that might be sounding like an expert, but might not REALLY know what they're talking about), and YouTube channels(where you can get to know the person, see the results of their knowledge, etc....). There ARE some downtmright morons with fish channels on YouTube, but, with a little bit of intelligence, you can weed them out pretty quickly...

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Read a couple of well written books and it's a whole lot easier to spot the ones who don't know what they're talking about. I've been involved with three good, busy general fish forums in the last 20+ years, including this one. I've looked at probably 20-30 others that weren't worth the time I spent checking them out. Specialty forums tend to be more likely to have at least a couple of genuine experienced people in them.

If someone links a youtube video that I think might be interesting, I'll watch it. So far, not many have been very....accurate. For every good one, there are a hundred bad ones. With those odds, you are better off not using that source.

8. Nadiboy

For sure. Books remain invaluable, but, given the bit of time to sort out the bad spots online, there is SO MUCH information out here.

9. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

I think you will really be intrigued by the science involved with a planted tank. There can be a bunch of chemistry that will either fascinate or terrify. When I see an image of a planted aquarium that I like I read that journal to find out what is working. They are all different

10. BeanFish

In my opinions books will be always the pro-stuff, nothing can replace them.
    The only YouTube channel that is interesting to me is the Rachel O'Leary one and maybe some pros will laugh at me for liking it lol.

11. m

She is always interesting

12. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

I highly recommend going to your local library and see if they have any books about aquariums. Mine has several books about tropical fish and planting your tank. They are all old, but I have enjoyed looking at the pictures with my kids. I have found that they are a great starting point for what you want to keep in your tank. :)

13. OP
    OP
    P

Thank you guys for all the responses! The general idea I'm hearing is that books are a trustworthy source; however, the most recent advances of the last decade or so probably won't be in them.

I like the idea of a book because all of the information is organized in one place and I don't have to go digging for answers. I can just absorb is all in one place. Too bad there's not a massive wiki out there with all this knowledge.

14. BeanFish

I agree, specially in the videos where she talks about breeding!

15. OP
    OP
    P

My plan is to go from my first tank (a 20 gallon unplanted) to a 75 or 100 gallon planted tank. To me, that's a huge leap, so I definitely want to be prepared and do it right.

I am going to have to check her out. I've never heard of her.

That's what I'm excited about! The science, that is. I'm a pharmacist, so I really want to dive deep into the chemistry and microbiology and biology of it all. I use these things every day, but I never imagined how they contribute to the complexity of this little ecosystem we can build in an aquarium.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  16. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Not a general fish-keeping book, but for those who love discus this book is one of the best. [​IMG]

For general reference Dr. Axelrod's Freshwater Aquarium Fishes is timeless.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  17. Nadiboy

I haven't delved too deeply into this site yet, but from what I've read, it's quite good. :)

18. m

After a bit we may need to pick your brain

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice