bonehead has arrived

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by bonehead, Mar 20, 2010.

1. bonehead

bonehead New Member Member

Joined the forum just to post this story. Partly to get it off my chest, partly in hopes of preventing this from happening to any one else.

About a month ago I bought a group (7)of C. sterbai juveniles for my 55 gal. They went into the quarantine tank and did just great. A couple days ago i decided the time was right and transferred them to the main tank. All was cool, they slipped into the plants at first but soon they were out exploring the new tank.

So a couple hours later I move in for a close look at the new inhabitants and find one of the little guys on the floor next to the tank. I hadn't replaced the lid and well, he was gone.

Tragic yes, but live and learn i guess. Tune in next post for more of the story.

j

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Bonehead!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your cory. I've never considered corys to be jumpers, but I have seen them go straight up the side of the tank full speed ahead, so IMO it makes sense.

Thanks for sharing your story with us and again, I'm sorry for your loss. Corys are fun little fish, for sure.

3. OP
    OP
    bonehead

thanks bolivianbaby.

Now for the part of the story that really inspired my screen name (not for the squeamish).

The day after the corys were introduced to the tank all seemed fine, I left for work,still a little annoyed at myself for forgetting to cover the tank the day before.

When I got home that evening I took a look at the tank to see how everything was going. Corys swimming about all seemed well. Soon the realization that I was only seeing the same three fish moving about. So I started inspecting the tank a little closer, not really concerned since there a lot of plants for them to hide among. Then something caught my eye and a little feeling of panic hit.

To my dismay I realized that there was no screen on the filter intake. I had removed it the weekend before as I was doing some maintenance and neglected to replace it.

Long story short, three corys swam up the intake tube. Two didn't survive, one is a little beat up but seems to be okay. The lesson is, don't be a
    bonehead like me. Save yourself a lot of guilt .Take care.

j.

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore
    :( Sorry about your fish.
    Hope things get better soon!

5. angel_scout

angel_scout Well Known Member Member

Sorry about your fish.

6. bolivianbaby

Oh, no! I'm sorry for your losses. It was an accident so please don't be hard on yourself.

7. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Welcome Bonehead!!!

Sorry for your loses, and thank you for "the Heads up" lesson for every one!!

8. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Welcome Bonehead,

Don't be too hard on yourself, we've all ( me for sure ) made our fair share of mistakes.

9. OP
    OP
    bonehead

Thanks everyone

As much as I am angry at myself, the main point of my post is to remind folks that corys like to swim up little black pvc tubes. If it saves some fish lives and fishkeepers guilt, great.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
  10. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fl, I'm sorry for your losses.

11. s

shadow2 Valued Member Member

Wow! I have only had my 2 little cories for 2 weeks and just today my one tried to go thru this hole on my bridge ornament. He could not make it thru and almost got stuck, he was smart enough or lucky enough to back out of the hole. Yikes! Made me nervous, because i read u have to be careful handling them as they have those sharp barbels. How the heck to u pick up a fish anyways?

My filter tube does not have a screen on it, don't know if i can put one on or not.

Good info to know and so sorry about your poor babies.

12. OP
    OP
    bonehead

Some good news. The cory i pulled out of the filter alive is doing fine. Everything is healed up and you can't really tell that anything happened.

13. bolivianbaby

Woohoo! We're so glad he's doing better. You did an excellent job helping him heal, Bonehead:)

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello BoneHead and Welcome to Fish Lore.

So sorry to hear about your fish accidents. Glad to hear that the one is really improving! :)
    I hope you can share some photos of your tank with us sometime.

Enjoy the site! Be sure to review the Fish Forum Rules. You can access the rules by clicking on Quick Links in the top right hand corner, in the blue bar at the top of this screen.

Thanks!
    Ken

15. OP
    OP
    bonehead

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice