Bolivians and Keyholes

1. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

Both are seemingly more mild-mannered (though they are still cichlids).

Would Bolivian Rams and Keyholes be compatible tankmates? Say two Keyholes and one Bolivian?

Also, would two male Keyholes be OK together?

2. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Yes they would, what size tank?

Brian

3. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

I have a couple extra tanks that are empty right now.

One is a 20g Long and one is a 30g. Similar to my pair of Cons ... with the Keyholes and Bolivian being on the smaller side and both being two of the most peacful Cichlids, I would prefer to put them in my other 20g Long (Total of 3 fish only...preferably all male...2 Keyholes & 1 Bolivian). Would like all males as I don't want to breed.

Also, while I've read here and elsewhere that it's not a 100% way to sex male Keyholes ... they appear to be similar to Cons in that they get larger than the females and have longer more flowing dorsal fins, etc. Would this be atleast somewhat accurate on male Keyholes?

4. btate617 Well Known Member Member

Yes that is one indication of sex, but it is very unreliable.

You could do 3 males in a 20long, just remember they will get close to 5" and males will tend to fight. Set the tank up right and you should be ok.

I think your probelm will be sexing the fish, unless you get bigger fish to start with. You may have to buy a small group of each and grow them out. Once you know who is who you can thin them out to what you want.

Brian

5. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, btate.

Yeah, that's the problem with all males. Even though it would be the more mild-mannered Keyholes and a single Bolivian ... they're still Cichlids, and that personality can come out. I simply don't want to breed this bunch. The Cons are enough, lol.

If going with more mature specimens ... would I be better off introducing them all at the same time? Or, say maybe introducing the Bolivian to the tank 1st ... and then adding the two Keyholes at the same time?

Thanks again for your advice.

6. btate617 Well Known Member Member

If I were doing it I would get all young fish and grow them out then pick the ones to keep as they grow.

Brian

7. ccb04 Well Known Member Member

Not a bad idea at all. :)