Bolivian Rams vs apistos

Arrow1oo

Well Known
Member
Messages
540
Reactions
117
So I have a 55 gallon planted tank currently stocked with:

- 1 male Swordtail
- 3 pearl gouramis (1m2f)
- 9 cardinal tetras
- 10 orange flame tetras
- 9 green aeneus corydora

I wanted to add some Bolivian Rams but I was also considering the idea of an apisto or two. Not sure about how the aggression and tempermant off of apistos are, which one should I get.

Tank is 78° 7.5 pH
 

A201

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,042
Reactions
4,784
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think there would be any problems mixing a few Bolivians with a few Apistos, as long as plenty of hardscape is provided.
Things likely won't be totally peaceful. Expect the typical Cichlid territorial bickering.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Well Known
Member
Messages
540
Reactions
117
A201 said:
I don't think there would be any problems mixing a few Bolivians with a few Apistos, as long as plenty of hardscape is provided.
Things likely won't be totally peaceful. Expect the typical Cichlid territorial bickering.
I'd prefer to do one or the other, my question is which gets along better in a community
 

A201

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,042
Reactions
4,784
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept Bolivians and found them very easy to breed & relatively peaceful. I believe Feohw currently keeps them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Well Known
Member
Messages
540
Reactions
117
A201 said:
I've kept Bolivians and found them very easy to breed & relatively peaceful. I believe Feohw currently keeps them.
Cool, think I'll go with them. My other question is how many should I get (male to female ratio as well). I have a pretty decent hardscape with plenty of seperated areas
 

A201

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,042
Reactions
4,784
Location
Oklahoma
Experience
More than 10 years
I had two mated pairs & one odd male out in my 65 gal. Things worked out pretty well. Each pair kept to their own end of the tank. The third male ended up being sort of a punching bag.
 

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,268
Reactions
5,675
Location
Ireland
Experience
2 years
Bolivians are my favourite fish, mine are very personable and get on great in my community. They are very peaceful, even when they breed. The most they do is give fish a light chase to get them away from the fry, but that's it.

I have a male and three females in my 53 gallon. My male switches between two of the females after each spawn, and has never bred with the third. They bicker in the way that most cichlids do, but as they each have their own territories, they tend to get on just fine. For 55 gallons, I tend to recommend either two pairs, one pair or a male and three females.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Arrow1oo

Arrow1oo

Well Known
Member
Messages
540
Reactions
117
Feohw said:
Bolivians are my favourite fish, mine are very personable and get on great in my community. They are very peaceful, even when they breed. The most they do is give fish a light chase to get them away from the fry, but that's it.

I have a male and three females in my 53 gallon. My male switches between two of the females after each spawn, and has never bred with the third. They bicker in the way that most cichlids do, but as they each have their own territories, they tend to get on just fine. For 55 gallons, I tend to recommend either two pairs, one pair or a male and three females.
Thanks for the info, I don't really think I can get my hands on a pair but I'll go with maybe 1 male and 2/3 females
 

jmaldo

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,669
Reactions
5,308
Location
Northcoast Ohio
Experience
3 years
Hey Feohw that's my line. Agree, my favorite fish. Bolivians have a ton of character. Remind me of puppies, breed and raised hundreds. If a pair forms and spawn they do get protective but just chase no real damage.

"Good Luck" on whatever you decide on.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
161
Guests online
2,780
Total visitors
2,941

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom