Bolivian Rams & substrate color

Tol

Well Known
Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know if Bolivians or Rams in general tend to lighten or darken their color based on the substrate? I have seen a few mentions/videos where they say that in some fish it really makes no difference at all, but that Cichlids tend to go darker on very dark or black substrate to blend in a little better. Anyone have experience with this?

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Yes, generally when they are kept on darker substrates they will show darker colouration. On light substrates they tend to show lighter. The yellow, the red, the blue can all show on either. Some say these will show better when they are on dark substrate, but my rams are very colourful and I have a light substrate. I have noticed that the base colour that does seems to change. Rams on dark substrates seem to show more black/dark grey than the white/light grey that mine show.

Loveplantedtanks

Thanks for asking this, was wondering myself. Just got some Bolivian Rams about 10 days ago and they're a bit dark. Was worried they were stressed but maybe it's just the black sand they're on. Hopefully!

New Threads