Bolivian Rams - Sexing

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by johnt11, Apr 15, 2017.

1. johnt11

johnt11 Valued Member Member

Anyone got any ideas from the photo?[​IMG]

2. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

The one at the back is a female. The one at the front i'm 90% sure is a female. I can't see the vent well enough. Very pretty Bolivians!

3. OP
    OP
    johnt11

That's disappointing. I was hoping they were a pair.

What are the differences to look for?

517d25aea0b5a84aa245e490f7a2a5a7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  4. itsayes

itsayes Valued Member Member

Not sure about Bolivians. I am curious what your substrate is though, looking for ideas for new tank!

5. Zahc

The females have a large round vent. The male is small and points backwards. Females are very easily noticed usually.

6. OP
    OP
    johnt11

It's black sand

7. T'sTropicalTanks

T'sTropicalTanks Valued Member Member

On the right is a female for sure

Not sure about the left. Most likely a premature male

8. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

I also think you have a possible male on the left. Another tell is the central fin, at least much of the time. They look a little stressed

9. OP
    OP
    johnt11

Think they are still settling into the tank. Hopefully they will colour up with time.

10. Zahc

Looking back, I now agree the left is more likely a male. I apologise to the OP for the inaccurate info. I must have not had my morning coffee before posting lol.

The anal fin is more square (male indication), but the big giveaway I missed before, is the face. The female has a much broader, rounder face/head, the male's is a bit less bulky, especially below the bottom lip. This is another visual way to sex bolivians. I agree they do both look slightly stressed.

I think was looking at their bellies to sex them at first (I find males are usually slightly slimmer, especially once sexually mature), as they both are very plump, which indicates female, however I think they are just very well fed.

I would still vent them personally, to be sure, as bolivians are notorious for being able to indicate traits of both sexes

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  11. OP
    OP
    johnt11

Bit annoying as went out and bought two more (one of which I am 99% sure is male) but it's all good. Will just see how they all get on.

Think I probably have two males and two females now.

12. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

That will work fine. Choices are good if you are trying for pairs. With enough floor space it's not uncommon to have multiple spawn at the same time if happy

13. OP
    OP
    johnt11

Floor space is my problem but I hopefully can move things around with other tanks etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice