Bolivian Rams - Sexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zahc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The one at the back is a female. The one at the front i'm 90% sure is a female. I can't see the vent well enough. Very pretty Bolivians!

OP
johnt11

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's disappointing. I was hoping they were a pair.

What are the differences to look for?

517d25aea0b5a84aa245e490f7a2a5a7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zahc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The females have a large round vent. The male is small and points backwards. Females are very easily noticed usually.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I also think you have a possible male on the left. Another tell is the central fin, at least much of the time. They look a little stressed

OP
johnt11

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Think they are still settling into the tank. Hopefully they will colour up with time.

Zahc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not sure about the left. Most likely a premature male
I also think you have a possible male on the left. Another tell is the central fin, at least much of the time. They look a little stressed
Looking back, I now agree the left is more likely a male. I apologise to the OP for the inaccurate info. I must have not had my morning coffee before posting lol.

The analfin is more square (male indication), but the big giveaway I missed before, is the face. The female has a much broader, rounder face/head, the male's is a bit less bulky, especially below the bottom lip. This is another visual way to sex bolivians. I agree they do both look slightly stressed.

I think was looking at their bellies to sex them at first (I find males are usually slightly slimmer, especially once sexually mature), as they both are very plump, which indicates female, however I think they are just very well fed.

I would still vent them personally, to be sure, as bolivians are notorious for being able to indicate traits of both sexes

Last edited:
OP
johnt11

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Looking back, I now agree the left is more likely a male. I apologise to the OP for the inaccurate info. I must have not had my morning coffee before posting lol.

The analfin is more square (male indication), but the big giveaway I missed before, is the face. The female has a much broader, rounder face/head, the male's is a bit less bulky, especially below the bottom lip. This is another visual way to sex bolivians. I agree they do both look slightly stressed.

I think was looking at their bellies to sex them at first (I find males are usually slightly slimmer, especially once sexually mature), as they both are very plump, which indicates female, however I think they are just very well fed.

I would still vent them personally, to be sure, as bolivians are notorious for being able to indicate traits of both sexes
Bit annoying as went out and bought two more (one of which I am 99% sure is male) but it's all good. Will just see how they all get on.

Think I probably have two males and two females now.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That will work fine. Choices are good if you are trying for pairs. With enough floor space it's not uncommon to have multiple spawn at the same time if happy

OP
johnt11

johnt11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Floor space is my problem but I hopefully can move things around with other tanks etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom