Bolivian Rams Ok With Male Betta?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cherie G, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Cherie G

Cherie G Valued Member Member

Hi everyone!
    I have a 29 gallon cycled tank with a hang on the back filter. Test water weekly and all levels look pretty good. I am slowly adding fish to what I want to be a community tank. Right now I have 5 zebra danios, 4 corydoras, 1 male betta and 2 amano shrimp. I would really like to add a bolivian ram to the community but have seen a lot of conflicting information (on line and at my LFS) on whether the ram would be compatible with the betta. The betta I have is very peaceful with the other fish in there now, does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance and love the site!

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

The Bolivian ram, as well as some of your current fish, need cooler water than a betta. Bettas prefer water at 80F, while Bolivians and your danios need it under 75. Depending on the species of Corys you have they may need cooler water as well.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I agree with AngelTheGypsy, your current fish aren't temperature compatible. If you really wanted to keep a ram with a betta then a german blue ram would be more temperature compatible with a betta (not with the rest of your fish though) but I wouldn't recommend it.

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with the above two. Bettas like waters over 78 degrees and bolivian rams like waters under 75 degrees.

You also have some stocking problems in your tank (not the betta and ram compatibility), if you like to discuss it

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Greetings and welcome to the forum :)

The points that the others made about the water temp in accurate. Also, even though I have done it as have others there bettas are not good community tank fish. They can be fine for a long time (or short time) then snap and start killing tank mates. Just so you are aware of this.

6. OP
    OP
    Cherie G

Thanks so much for the information, maybe that will be a good excuse for a new tank for the Betta.

Aquatic keeper mentioned stocking problem aside from the Betta/Ram question, would welcome any advice.

7. aquatickeeper

Zebra danios also like cooler water than bettas. So, you should rehome the zebra danios or the one betta.

What type of cory?

8. OP
    OP
    Cherie G

Will definitely be re-homing the betta. I am not sure what type cory, can't find where I wrote it down but I believe is leucomelas.

9. aquatickeeper

Once you rehome your betta, up the school of zebra danio to 8 and the cory (same species) to 8.

A quick google search says the common name is blackfin cory

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice