Bolivian Rams not pairing

Paulforfish

Hi I got a male and a female about 4weeks ago and they are still fighting chasing each other around and stay at the opposite sides of the aquarium
I am wondering if I should leave them or should I get a new male/female

BigManAquatics

Not really sure protocol here. I know sometimes they just plain don't pair with each other, but no clue on length of time it takes before the fish decide such things

LowConductivity

1st rule of dwarf cichlids….if you want to guarantee you get a good breeding pair, buy a dozen fish.

2nd rule, don’t buy “pairs” (emphasis on the quotation marks)

yes. Buy more.

Paulforfish

Yeah well the shop only had one female so it wouldn't be smart the have hand two or three males fight for one female it would end in death

do you think that she paired up with a different male when she was in the shop and now she doesn't want to pair with my male
I got my female a week later when I returned my other male

TClare

1st rule of dwarf cichlids….if you want to guarantee you get a good breeding pair, buy a dozen fish.

2nd rule, don’t buy “pairs” (emphasis on the quotation marks)

yes. Buy more.
Or at least half a dozen anyway….I got lucky with 4 Laetacaras, got 2 pairs. But I bought 5 juvenile Apistogrammas last year - they turned out to be 2 different species and all males…
Yeah well the shop only had one female so it wouldn't be smart the have hand two or three males fight for one female it would end in death

do you think that she paired up with a different male when she was in the shop and now she doesn't want to pair with my male
I got my female a week later when I returned my other male
Try to get a few more young unsexed ones and let them sort themselves out.

jmaldo

It depends on the fish. I have noticed this behavior with proven and new pairs. They will bicker, lip-lock, chase and also separate. It's her way to see if if he is worthy. "Mother Nature" at work. Give them more time.

Paulforfish

Okay
It depends on the fish. I have noticed this behavior with proven and new pairs. They will bicker, lip-lock, chase and also separate. It's her way to see if if he is worthy. "Mother Nature" at work. Give them more time.
thank you so much
I just got worried that it will never stop so I will give it a couple of weeks more and then see

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Fishymom64
  • Question