bolivian rams and suitable tank mates

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i am in the process of deciding what sort of tank i should be setting up.

it is a 47 gal and it currently has 3 corys and mystery snail. needless to say i have become facinated by these rams since i first saw them at my LFS. they are gorgeous fish - but what can i stock them with? must the tank be full of cichlids or can they be housed with other fish?

simpleton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might want to try some Rosie Barbs. I currently have 3 males in my 30 gal tank and I'm thinking about adding some Cichlids. I've talked to some folks and have read that Rosies can be good tank mates for Rams or Kribs. I'm going to go in one of those directions when I'm ready to add some Cichlids. I'm currently working on changing the physical environment of my tank to add some cave structure and driftwood. I've had my Rosies for almost 2 years and they are good, hearty fish. They're often very entertaining to watch as well.

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
i was considering some different kinds of barbs as tank mates... does anyone know if harlequin rasboras would be okay in a tank w/ rams?

i was also wondering if bolivian and blue rams are compatible?

this is the stocking i have been considering lately...

3 corydoras, 3 bolivian rams, 3 blue rams, 2 angel fish, a shoal of x (be it danios or barbs or tetras)

i guess this sort of set up is contingent upon whether or not the rams would be compatible tank mates.

simpleton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may want to be re-consider Barbs if you're going to go with Angelfish. Barbs are fin nippers and it is recommended that you not put them in a tank with slow moving long finned fish.

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
good call on the barbs, but will the rasboras nip fins?

Terry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have a pair of Bolivians (actually 3 - one extra male being transferred to another tank soon), in a tank with a couple neons, white clouds, and zebras, and a large old cory. They all get along fine. The Bolivians spend most of their time in the bottom half of the tank, and the others in the top half. They don't really bother the cory either, except for an occasional "ram" if he gets in the way LOL. The rams are a lot more peaceful (and smaller) than the larger cichlids.

simpleton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure on the Rasboras with regards to fin nipping. I just know from personal experience the Barbs will go after Anglefish

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know for a fact that harlequin rasboras are not fin nippers as long as you keep at least 6 of them.
Tom

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tom said:
I know for a fact that harlequin rasboras are not fin nippers as long as you keep at least 6 of them.
Tom
thank you it was hard to find this information else where

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just ask me almost anything about harlequins, I have 6 and they have been in my tank since the begininning.
Tom

aqua man130

Reaction score
barbs will go great with rams and some big tetras or u could put some small cichlids in like angels and keyholes

aqua

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom