Bolivian Ram

1. vintagetankgirl Member Member

I have a 28gallon tank that currently houses my Angelfish and 6 Skunk Cories. I was wondering if it is possible to add only 1 BR to the setup? I also would like to add a Keyhole Cichlid.

Do Rams need to be kept in multiples? Especially if kept with other Cichlids.

Thanks for any advice,
    DB

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think a 28 may be too small for both an angel and a bolivian ram. Bolivians are larger than GBRs. Perhaps in a larger tank...

3. vintagetankgirl Member Member

Thanks for the advice! I plan to have a larger tank in the future, but it wont be for a few years... :(

However I posted this same question on two other forums and was told that if I moved the Cories out and kept it just the Angelfish and Bolivians I could have up to 4 of them!

So I paid for two of the cute little buggers the other day, but now have to prepare the tank. My plan of action is to move the Skunks to the 15 gallon I have. Then I will cup capture Sunshine (the angelfish) and place in a bucket of tank water. I will then be rescaping the entire tank to make more visual divider of my plants and driftwood. After everything settles down I will but Sunshine back in his home. I plan to keep an eye on the Nitrates since stirring up the substrate can cause a spike. I will be picking up my two BRs the next morning.

SO here is my new question: Will the rescaping make it easier for Sunshine to accept new fish in her tank?

She has been fine with 8 Colombians and 12 Cories and even 11 Neon Tetras at different times of the last 6 months I've had her.

However, this is the first time she will have a Cichlid for a tankmate. Also the 2 BRs are at an awesome LFS and are currently housed with multiple Angelfish and 4 other BRs (a total of 6).

My concern is that Sunshine will have enough time to get to know the tank to well before I get the BRs? I could leave the plants floating until I have the BRs then lower the water and float their bag while I rearrange the plants that way there is "new" surroundings for both the BRs and Sunshine.

Also I am seriously considering buy 4 BRs would this be a bad idea? Should I only add two and see how it goes and then maybe add more a month from now?

Any advice is appreciated!

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

In my opinion I think you could have kept the cories in there and the rescape isn't neccesary, I keep 2 male bolivian rams in my 72G with 2 male angelfish and they have no problems what so ever, the bolivian rams will only stay at the bottom to middle of the tank so the angel should not be bothered by their presence :)

5. mathas Well Known Member Member

Rescaping usually does help, but in my experience, bolivians can hold their own against an angel, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about :) They're not aggressive, per se, but they have no problems letting other fish know when to leave them alone. I've seen my bolivians chase away angelfish twice their size when they were guarding eggs, or when the angels tried to eat food they wanted.

A 28g tank is not enough space for four adult bolivians.

Two might even be pushing it, if you wind up with two territorial ones and don't have enough hiding spots/line-of-sight breaks.

6. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Ooops, justn oticed oyur tank size, in a 28G I would only add 1 bolivian, I kept 2 in a 34G which both ended up being males and they would never stop fighting, now they are both in the 72G and they are fine but this is clearly because of such a large tank they can easily hide form one another

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, just add one Bolivian. A 28 gallon should be ok for your angel even at adult size (IMO adults can be kept one to a 29 gallon) and IME they do fine with Bolivians. IMO you should skip the keyhole; your tank isn't large enough for another cichlid.

8. vintagetankgirl Member Member

Thanks guys for all the info!

I will definitely be waiting on the Keyholes for that bigger aquarium I dream of in the future. I keep seeing 110 gallon tanks with accessories on craigslist for around $200 and it kills me...but alas I must wait until we buy a house, renting and large tanks don't mix well!

I have the FS holding two of their biggest BRs currently, do you guys think this means I more than likely will have 2 males? Should I get the Biggest and one of the smaller ones to lessen the chance of 2 males?

I'm thinking about just getting 1 to see how it goes, but they are so cute when they interact...however I do want to do whats best for the little guys...

If it helps my tank is fully planted and has a medium to large piece of driftwood, I also think I'll add some rocks to increase the hiding places.

I have until the 20th to pick the BRs up so I have time to make changes.

9. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well I would pick just one of them up to begin with and then if its quite a big one some of us may be able to sex it for you, I can tell that my guys are males however they are close to 2 years old.
    But generally speaking this is how I tell gender:
    Males, Have a rather slim body and the lower body of the fish is not very curved, they also have slightly larger fins.

Females, are generally quite rounded, the lower body is more rounded than that of the males.

Hope this helps :)
    And these methods of sexing bolivians is just from my experience.

10. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Bolivian Rams only grow to approx 3 inches at best. A couple would be fine in your 28 gallon tank..IMO...and you could leave 3 of the cory's too.

Wait on getting Keyhole cichlids for a larger tank.

11. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Mine fought in a 29. I think if you don't have a pair it can be iffy for sure. I had to move one of mine out of the 29 eventually or it would have been stressed to death. Adding one is a very safe bet, but I agree that a pair would be fine in a 28. The issue is either finding a pair or getting them to pair off. Great advice from TedsTank. :)

12. vintagetankgirl Member Member

So I have made a decision about the BRs. I will be getting the two I paid for last weekend.

Today I moved all the tetras over to the 15 gallon and tonight I will be moving a few of the cories. I'm going to try leaving a few in the tank until the 10 gallon is done cycling.

I will be rescaping the 28 gallon by moving around the plants and driftwood. I haven't found any rocks I like enough to add in, but I hope to eventually.

I am going to pick up the BRs tomorrow. I'm so excited! Must charge camera, many pictures for my blog!

13. kacie Member Member

Very excited to see your new fish! I think the tank sounds perfect for them. I had a pair in my 20g high for a year with only a little bickering and no injuries and one attempted spawning. I think you could keep them with a few cories and a small school of tetras.

14. vintagetankgirl Member Member

Well I picked up the two Bolivians that I originally purchased...and then was guilted into buying the last one the LFS had also (girlfriend really likes these fish as do I). So for now they are all three happily swiming around in the 28 gallon, the plan is to move 1 to the 15 High if there is any problems. I also still have a 10g cycling that should be okay for the smallest BR.

Also with this new fish, I also totally unexpectedly saw the most beautiful Angelfish, its about the size of a quarter and has very different markings, I've never seen an Angel like it before, it has bars on its body that are separated by dots, and it also has red eyes. I remember years ago one of my brothers first angelfish had red eyes, but I haven't seen it in years!

Needless to say little Morse Code is now swimming happily in the 15 High. So I have pretty much set my self up for a bigger tank...which is exciting and will hopefully be approved of by the girlfriend since she wanted the 3rd BR and liked Morse so much!

So I have uploaded pictures of the Rams and Morse taken after being in their new homes for 3 hours, forgive the water marks as I was so excited I didn't take the time to wipe the tanks down properly. Check my album for pics if interested!

NOTE: THIS is what happens if you find a LFS that actually takes care of its fish and has good stock...you leave buying more than you expected and they keep you coming back for more. The tanks were pristine, all fully plantedwith a wide range of plants and had a mix of sand and gravel...not one speck of algae and no dead or sickly fish. It was an experience! The owners also own a fish farm in Taiwan and supply a lot of the Fish stores in the area.

Now I am planning a new 40 to 75 gallon...and where it will go...

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Vintage. Your tank and fish are beautiful. Never seen a spotted Angel like that before! Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated.
    Happy Holidays!
    Ken

16. vintagetankgirl Member Member

Thanks Ken, I would really like to get to know more about this color version of Angels. Maybe I'll post a question over on the Angel section...

Happy Holidays to you too!

DB