Bolivian Ram Weird Behaviour Plz Help

Mackenziecromie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there, I bought a pair of bolivian rams about three weeks ago, they’ve been doing great! Pretty positive its a male and female, my tank has sand and lots of rock caves and live plants. Tankmates include a school of cories and two female platy. Everyones still juvenile.
But the other day i noticed one of my rams im not sure if its the female or male yet, but it would be swimming along the bottom perfectly fine and then suddenly jolts his body sideways against the sand. It happened once and then didn’t see it for another day. Tonight he did it again but then continued to jolt back and forth from hovering above to like lightly smacking his body on the sand.. can anyone please tell me if this behaviour might be symptoms to some parasite or disease?! If i need to be worried?? Ive been doing 25%-50% water changes to keep nitrates low!

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Make sure your nitrates aren't too high. They're not toxic but they do irritate skin at high levels. It's really fairly normal behavior with cichlids though.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mackenziecromie said:
can anyone please tell me if this behaviour might be symptoms to some parasite or disease?!
I mean, yeah, it might be. I'd say probably flukes by the behavior. Are there any other symptoms or behaviors? You can treat with General Cure or maybe do salt baths just in case but I'd watch for other behaviors like not eating, hiding, etc. before being too concerned.
What is your typical nitrate reading?

Mackenziecromie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CheshireKat said:
I mean, yeah, it might be. I'd say probably flukes by the behavior. Are there any other symptoms or behaviors? You can treat with General Cure or maybe do salt baths just in case but I'd watch for other behaviors like not eating, hiding, etc. before being too concerned.
What is your typical nitrate reading?
Ive been doing water changes every couple days treating with prime so im not sure if they’re 100% accurate but it’s usually at like 20-25ppm with me and my boyfriend doing them once every 2-3 days. Everyone eats perfectly fine from what i can see. Ill look into treating with general cure or salt baths just in case

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom