Bolivian Ram Tank mates

1. DRock914 Member Member

I want to add some tank mates for my Bolivian Rams. I was thinking about Rummy Nose Tetras or Killifish. Not sure how well the Killifish would do with my parameters though. Anyone have any experience with these tank mate? Feel free to also recommend tank mates that I may have overlooked.

2. kacie Member Member

Hi, I had them with neons and kuhli loaches and they were great. Good luck with them

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I have my bolivian rams with angelfish, neons, glofish, platys, mollies, baby peppered corys, pristella tetras, and two plecos, one sailfin and one clown. I've had them with guppies as well.

Rummynose tetras...very pretty. They're compatible with bolivian rams as well. I have zero experience with killifish so I can't help there.

Hope this helps!

4. steve_58 Member Member

My Bolivian shares a 55g with cherry barbs , various tetras including neons,white clouds and a gold ram.I have no problems and everyone gets along fine .If your Bolivians are a pair and decide to breed you just might have an aggression problem.

5. DRock914 Member Member

I think my rams are both female so there won't be any mating. Sounds like they get along with most community fish. I would like an Angel fish and according to petsmart you can keep them in a minimum of 10g tank which I think is too small but would my 20g be too small?

6. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Rummy Nose tetras are highly recommended by many of the apisto breeders and othe SA cichlid keepers.. There are a couple of rummynose subspecies. Check online one of them has much better red than the other. Sorry I can't remember the scientific name of the best one...search on line and you'll get the answer.

Actually most any of the tetras will look good and be compatable with the Columbian rams.

Edit: just looked it up......the best rummy nose is the hemigrammus bleheri..sometimes called the brilliant rummynose

7. kacie Member Member

I think 20g is too small for an angel. Two rams, 6 small tetras, 3 ottos is what I'd stick to.

8. DRock914 Member Member

I have a temporary pleco in there so I don't need ottos now. I also have a loach which does a lot of the "vacuuming". So then maybe just add 6 small community fish.

TedsTank: Is that subspecies rare? I can only go by what's available to me and I don't want to order fish online, I like to watch them in the store before purchasing them.

edit: I just looked up that species and that was what I was looking for. I remember seeing a fish that was either that or similar last weekend at my LFS but it was 3" big. Do they get that big?