Bolivian Ram Tank Mates

1. tfreema Well Known Member Member

I have a 26 gallon bow front with a pair of Bolivian Rams and 3 Cory cats.

I would like a school to inhabit the mid to top level as well as serve as dither for the Rams. While at the fish store today, I saw some interesting tetras:

Von rio tetra
    Black phantom tetra
    Buenos Aires tetra

What do you think of those? Any other ideas or suggestions? So many tetras to choose from.

Thanks!

2. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Naturally I'll say add three more of same species Cory because they will appreciate.
    I have a single BR as well(in my 50) and his/her dither fish are neon tetras,black neon tetras,Pristella tetras. Honestly he/she spends most time pretending to be Cory cat.
    What makes a huge difference is having a cave or hiding spot even if unused by BR I took ornaments out to clean them and my BR started nipping platies.

3. tfreema Well Known Member Member

I have considered adding more cories, but the footprint of the tank is not very big and I did not want to overstock. Also, I already picked the wrong one to go with BR, peppered, not realizing they needed much lower temps. I keep the temp on the low end for BR, about 75-76, that is still considered high for peppered cories shortening their life span. Because of that, I am contemplating before adding more. I do not have any other low temp fish tanks to move them over to. :-/

I have two caves with flat tops and limestone rocks with holes against the back wall.

I really like the looks of the von rio tetra and my lfs has a nice looking batch right now. They have similar temp range needs as BR, 72-82, are not nippy like some, and small enough that a school of 8 would work.

4. GoldenKillifish Member Member

OK sounds good