Bolivian Ram sudden death

Gillyfish

One of my Bolivians died today. I’ve had 2 for over a month. The only problem I’ve seen and I came to believe it wasn’t a problem is that I never see them eat. I know they have been eating something or they wouldn’t have made it this long but I’ve tried flakes and pellets and they don’t show interest. All my other fish are fine and the other ram is fine but when I came home for lunch one was dead. I’ve had Bolivians before and they would sift sand and even eat pellets but these won’t eat anything. I’ve seen them sift sand a little but not like my previous rams. I’m not sure what happened. It’s a very lightly stocked 75 gallon with 1 small angel, 15 neons, and a small SAE. Now with only one ram. The tank has been set up since last thanksgiving. I do regular water changes. No recent changes. I’m just not sure

Ellebrius

I’m no expert but I do have 2 Bolivian Rams. I can tell you they are very picky eaters especially when introduced to a new tank.
My guess is it probably died of hunger and if you don’t see the other one eat it probably will also. I’m talking from experience, I lost one myself that way.
My rams hate flake food and Omega One pellets as well. You are going to have to try different foods till you see your Ram eat. Mine like frozen Bloodworms, the Hikari micro pellets I feed my Rummynose with, and they adore Shrimp Pellets made for Bottomfeeders that are I break up in small pieces. They usually catch a bigger piece in their mouth while it’s on its way down and swim away with it quickly to their usual corner to munch on it, sooo cute.
You must get yours to eat, once it starts it will keep on eating.
Good luck! :)

TClare

I don't know if your ram died of starvation, or if it had some underlying problem, but my festivums are incredibly fussy eaters when it comes to almost any dried food. But one thing I have discovered that they do like (and all other fish seem to love them) is Hikari vibra bites. I don't know if it is because they look like worms, or the red colour or just the taste, but maybe worth a try.

Linda1234

Fishes can live for a month or two without food so take that into account if you think it starved to death. Also it has been my experience that hungry fishes can become quite aggressive around food (if they want to eat).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
LaurieCory
Replies
Views
Vix1987
Replies
Views