Bolivian ram stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by df07205h, Jul 21, 2015.

1. d

df07205h New Member Member

Hi all I'm setting up a new tank and was wondering if I can put 2 male bolivian rams in the same tank, it is not my wish to cause any undue harm or stress to the fish as I have had a bad experience with other cichlids in the past.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

How large is the tank?
    I would say no, 2 male rams will fight. but depending on the size you can do a female and male

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    I've deleted your duplicate thread & edited the title of this one to enable you to get the best responses to your question.
    Please only make one thread per topic

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    d

df07205h

Hi Coradee thanks for that, Im new to forums. Hi Nympxzie. Depending on where you are it's a 40ltrtank. I thought that may be the case.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

40 liters is way too small for 2 rams. You would need at least 100L to accommodate two Rams.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    d

Ok thanks for the advice, at least now I know. I have obviously been miss informed about this particular fish, again many thanks.

7. Nympxzie

Is there anything in the tank right now? Maybe we can help you pick out some fish for your tank.

8. OP
    OP
    d

not at the moment I'm still running it in so to speak, its only been running for just short of 3 days so wont be putting anything in till the weekend. Would be grateful for any suggestions though.

9. Nympxzie

Have you cycled the tank?

fish suitable for a 10g tank that are easy to find are;
    betta, honey gourami, sparkling gourami, emerald dwarf rasbora, chili rasbora, pheonix rasbora, endlers livebearer, ember tetra, celestial pearl danio, threadfin rainbowfish, dwarf pencilfish.

10. Dom90

Honey gouramis are not suitable for 10 gallon tanks. They need 20 gallons like other gouramis. Only gourami that works is a sparkling.

11. Nympxzie

I took the honey gourami suggestion from the sticky. They only get to be 2" and are very slow moving and peaceful. Why do you say they cannot work in a 10g, just curious.

12. Dom90

Seriously fish recommends a tank with a surface area of 24x12, a 10 is only 20x10.

13. OP
    OP
    d

Hi guys its been a while since my last post about Bolivian Rams, I have since decided against rams and now have 3 Rummy nose Tetra, 3 Cherry Barbs, a bronze Cory, a Peppered Cory and a Shrimp. I'm happy to say they are all getting along fine and happy. Many thanks to all for your advice.

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

15. M

MinervaBelle Valued Member Member

My advice to you would be to return the cory catfish and get a couple more cherry barbs, if anything. Cory catfish look really small and harmless, but they love being in big groups and having a long tank. Cherry barbs are the same way, but if you're set on having them I would keep those over the cories. Cherry barbs are pretty hardy fish.

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

If you returned all of them, which you should, you could get a group of ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, or chili rasboras.
    I'd only get one of those species, you could have up to 12 in a 10g imo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice