Bolivian Ram Still Pale Help!

Bubba3474

Hey everyone,
I got this little guy almost a month ago now, and he has been pale just about the whole time. When I picked him up at my local Petco, he had a sunken stomach but was cheerful compared to the others, he also had normal Bolivian coloring (more gray on his body, yellow coloring on the front, etc.). Since then he’s had a great appetite of bug bites and frozen bloodworms, and quickly started to grow and his stomach is back to normal. The one thing I still can’t figure out is why the heck he’s pale/white. When I added him, it seemed like he had his normal coloration until he started getting more comfortable in the tank, resulting in him getting paler. I do have white substrate which I figured could be a possibility of him being more white, but could it really do this much? Attached pic below, thank you!
Edit: just to add, he is very interactive and seems incredibly healthy otherwise. Just wondering what this could be a result of …

Attachments

• B360C7D3-A196-40C1-BB35-84C3DFFDBA0C.jpeg
    B360C7D3-A196-40C1-BB35-84C3DFFDBA0C.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 8E289103-F52C-443B-A381-8BD192AD12B9.jpeg
    8E289103-F52C-443B-A381-8BD192AD12B9.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 20

Dunk2

Hey everyone,
I got this little guy almost a month ago now, and he has been pale just about the whole time. When I picked him up at my local Petco, he had a sunken stomach but was cheerful compared to the others, he also had normal Bolivian coloring (more gray on his body, yellow coloring on the front, etc.). Since then he’s had a great appetite of bug bites and frozen bloodworms, and quickly started to grow and his stomach is back to normal. The one thing I still can’t figure out is why the heck he’s pale/white. When I added him, it seemed like he had his normal coloration until he started getting more comfortable in the tank, resulting in him getting paler. I do have white substrate which I figured could be a possibility of him being more white, but could it really do this much? Attached pic below, thank you!
Edit: just to add, he is very interactive and seems incredibly healthy otherwise. Just wondering what this could be a result of …

If he seems healthy and had typical coloring when you got him, I’m guessing it’s the white substrate.

CrackerboxPalace

If he seems healthy and had typical coloring when you got him, I’m guessing it’s the white substrate.
Agreed. Feeding a wide variety of foods, particularly live foods is also essential for making them look their best. And they will adjust to their surroundings a bit to blend in better, so a darker substrate and ornaments could potentially bring out more colours.

Bubba3474

Agreed. Feeding a wide variety of foods, particularly live foods is also essential for making them look their best. And they will adjust to their surroundings a bit to blend in better, so a darker substrate and ornaments could potentially bring out more colours.
Will do, sounds like it’s time to get a brine shrimp hatchery? (open to other live food recommendations)…
I’m moving him into a 55 gallon tank in the next couple weeks, if I get a different color substrate will he still be able to revert to his old traditional Bolivian coloring? Also while I have you, any suggestions for what other fish I should stock it with? I’ll be moving my Bolivian, 15 Neon Tetras and 6 Emerald Cories. What more would you add along with those in a 55? Thanks! :D
Will do, sounds like it’s time to get a brine shrimp hatchery? (open to other live food recommendations)…
I’m moving him into a 55 gallon tank in the next couple weeks, if I get a different color substrate will he still be able to revert to his old traditional Bolivian coloring? Also while I have you, any suggestions for what other fish I should stock it with? I’ll be moving my Bolivian, 15 Neon Tetras and 6 Emerald Cories. What more would you add along with those in a 55? Thanks! :D
And Dunk2 ^ :)

CrackerboxPalace

Brine shrimp would be perfect, live food is wonderful not just for their colours but also for their overall health :) you could do mosquito larvae or daphnia either. If you use a darker substrate they are more likely to be more vibrant, but it's possible this is just the natural colour morph of the fish, so it won't colour up much more.

To add to the 55 I would personally add some more bolivian rams, emerald cories and then maybe some honey gouramis. Plenty of other options to consider though :)

Bubba3474

Brine shrimp would be perfect, live food is wonderful not just for their colours but also for their overall health :) you could do mosquito larvae or daphnia either. If you use a darker substrate they are more likely to be more vibrant, but it's possible this is just the natural colour morph of the fish, so it won't colour up much more.

To add to the 55 I would personally add some more bolivian rams, emerald cories and then maybe some honey gouramis. Plenty of other options to consider though :)
Sorry for the late response, but thank you for your help! Have a great weekend :D

Bubba3474

Update: turned on my lights early this morning, and he had beautiful yellow coloring on his front belly and the gray on his sides… guess it’s the light with the white substrate after all!

Dunk2

Update: turned on my lights early this morning, and he had beautiful yellow coloring on his front belly and the gray on his sides… guess it’s the light with the white substrate after all!

Good news!

If you decide to change the white substrate to a darker color (and if you don’t already know this), I wouldn’t change it all at once as that could affect your cycle. I’d probably change it out one third or so at a time over a period of 6-7 weeks.

jmaldo

That's "Great", Bolivians my favorite,
You've gotten some "Good" advice.
Agree with the darker substrate and also you might consider a dark background. This will help the colors "Pop"

Good Luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
Replies
Views
Trekker1125
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies