Bolivian Ram - Sexing

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Last time I posted images, the jury was out as to whether or not I had two males or a male and a female. Hoping that they might be easier to sex now that they are older.

So, is this a female Bolivian Ram?

I have two and they seem to hang around each other lately. But not sure if they are bickering over territory or if they are finally starting to pair off. I often see them circling each other, flapping their tail fins at each other usually on the other's side, charging at each other and even a full lip lock. They never hurt each other, so I was thinking that maybe they were pairing off.

Thanks for looking.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Well, guess no one has an idea. I'll just have to keep watching to see what happens between them. I noticed both of them were scraping up sand, cleaning the high traffic areas (not an very good area if they intend to spawn), etc. And, I also noticed that the known male is even more colorful with blues and bright pink coloring.

EmmanuelJB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The first 2 pics and the one in the front of the 3rd pic look like females. Not sure about the one in the back of the 3rd pic...
Then again I could never be 100% sure...

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Unless I'm wrong, the one in front of the 3rd picture is my male. Do females have the long ray/filament on their tails? If you look at the 3rd picture again, and follow the top of the tail, you should be able to see it. Also, this one is starting to get more blue on the face and bright pink in its coloring. I did notice the black spot is covered in blue now. Not sure what that means.

The two pictures at the top are of the one in the back in the 3rd. I only have 2 Bolivian Rams.

Still watching their behavior trying to determine what's up with these two.

Thanks for looking.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Thanks mathas. I thought that only the males had the long caudal rays. Live and learn. This is the first pair of Bolivians I've ever had.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom