Bolivian Ram Sexing/Stressed & Hard Water to Soft ::HELP PLEASE::

1. x8xspazx8x

x8xspazx8x New Member Member

Hi everyone. New to fishlore here. Just some questions concerning my 60 Gallon Tank. Hoping someone can help.

I have 3 Bolivian Ram's and one of them looks to be stressed as it's colors aren't normal. It's basically turned dark grey and hides from time to time. But every now and then comes out to swim around. Hasn't been eating much either.

Also been trying to find a way to get my water softer. Which I believe is the cause of my Ram's being a little stressed. I've tried driftwood and Tetra Black Water Extract but doesn't seem to be doing much. Suggestions?

And wondering if I can get some help with what the sex is of the Bolivian's. These are obviously a little harder to sex then the German Blue Rams.

I'm guessing this one is a Male, judging by it's structure.
    Also seems a little stressed.
    [​IMG]

I believe this one is a female as the vent is very noticeable.
    [​IMG]

And I believe this one is a male. This is also the one
    that has seemed stressed and has been hiding.
    [​IMG]

I have a 60 Gallon with CaribSea Super Natural Sand (Sunset Gold), Moderately Planted and Lighted.
    With a Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin 350 Powerfilter.

Water Parameters:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Hardness: 150 (Hard)
    Chlorine: 0
    Alkalinity: 120
    pH: Between 6.8 - 7.2

My Stock is:
    1 Peppered Cory Catfish
    1 Julii Catfish
    6 Neon Tetras
    3 Glow Light Tetras
    3 Bolivian Rams
    2 Gold Pandra Lyretale Mollies
    1 Electric Blue Acara
    1 Kribensis
    4 Guppies
    2 Dickfeld's Julie Cichlids (Juvenile)

Thanks guys.
    -Rick

2. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

K, some issues to address before we even touch on your original question. Based on the way you posted your info, I'm guessing your using test strips. They are sadly, horribly inaccurate, and you'd be far better off getting a liquid api master test kit, and an api gh/kh test (doesn't come with the master) , as they are far more accurate than the strips.

Second pressing issue, your tank does not appear to be cycled, as it's showing 0 in ammo, nitrite, and nitrate. A cycled Tank should be 0,0,5-20. How long has the tank been setup, did you cycle it and how, and when did you add the fish, and when you added the fish, how did you add them?

Third pressing issue: you are incorrectly stocked. Peppered and I think Julie cats prefer far colder water than the rest of the stock and require a school of 6+ for each species. , Neon tetras are also longer lived and happier in colder water. Glow light tetras also need a school of six.

Not sure on this, butJulie cichlids are a rift Lake species, and tend to be aggressive with other cichlids, so could be issues there

Also, rams could be stressed due to aggressive actions from the Krebs or Julie cichlids. Dunno, could just be the new tank. To many variables to thin down atm.

Anders247 and Coradee stock far better than I do, and CindiL can explain water chemistry far better, but I believe I got the basics needed.

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Addressing your stock issues, cories need to be in groups of 6+ of their own species. So 6 peppered and 6 julii cories would be needed.
    Glow light tetras also need to be in groups of 6+.

Some of your stock is incompatible. Here's what I'd do:

Rehome the peppered and julii cory as they prefer cool temps
    Rehome the neon tetras for the same reasons as the above
    Rehome the juli cichlids as they are not compatible with community fish
    Up the group of Glow light tetras to 12
    Rehome one bolivian ram
    That would leave you at:
    12 glow light tetras
    2 bolivian rams
    1 EBA
    1 kribensis
    4 guppies
    2 mollies

Then imo you could add 12 albino or bronze cories.

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi2

Your water is hard but not so hard it should be an issue for your rams and your livebearers need that hardness level so I wouldn't try and lower it. My guess is the stress is more from what you have stocked.

Please answer questions above
    When was the tank setup?
    When were the fish added? how long have you had the different species?
    When were the bolivians added?
    Do you have lots of plants (real or fake) and hiding places to make all your fish feel secure?
    How did you cycle it?
    What is your water conditioner?

I agree on the API test kit and I would suggest Seachem Prime for your water conditioner.

Depending on the answers above and adjusting stocking like recommended you can have a nice home for them.