Bolivian Ram Personality

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by RedLoredAmazon, Aug 19, 2019.

1. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    I just picked up a Bolivian ram on saturday. I was wondering if they are normally a mopey/shy fish. Mine is in QT right now with three cory trilineatus. It seems to stay still most of the day in one spot if I am looking at it. ...but I have noticed it does come out when it thinks I'm not in the room.

Can anyone else give me an idea if this is just normal or do they warm up later on?

2. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Experience:
    1 year
    They can be quite shy at first, but they tend to become much more personable once they are used to their environment. Does the QT tank have decor or anything? I would guess a quarantine tank wouldn't have the level of decor that a ram would appreciate. Once they get used to you they will begin to beg for food and will be out and about most of the time. Do you only have one and would you consider another? I always like to recommend a pair.

Just make sure nothings wrong with it, though as you say it comes out when you are away from the tank I would say its just getting used to you. Mine took a few days to feel like they owned the tank as far as I remember. Once its in its actual tank it will likely feel more at home.

3. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,556
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bolivians aren't particularly shy. Once acclimated they will vigorously feed, males will joust back & forth for territory & mates.
    Might be a good idea to add a good sized rock or driftwood into the QT tank so the Ram might feel more secure.

4. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    I have three fake plants in the tank and a cupcake cave in there. I do have a few more decorations that I could add.

There was another ram in the tank with the one that I bought. I didn't feel comfortable buying the other one since I am concerned that the bottom of my tank will be overstocked. My tank is a 54 gallon corner tank (think pizza or a pie slice shape) that measures 39" x 27.25" x 23".

5. JLeeM

JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,225
    Experience:
    2 years
    I can agree with just about everything already stated. My three females that I got all together come right to the front of the tank now. When they were young and in quarantine, they hid all day. I'm having terrible luck getting a male though. I've had 3 die on me.

6. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,556
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I kept a group of six Bolivians in a 65 gallon. My hardscape of good sized rocks & driftwood kept aggression to a minimum. Its really difficult to determine gender. I got lucky selecting males, picking the biggest, most colorful & aggressive Rams in LFS display tank. The Rams were hardy and rarely got sick. Great little cichlid.

7. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3,721
    Experience:
    2 years
    Bolivians one of my favorite. They can be shy. When I picked up my pair they hid for almost 3 weeks. But eventually they figured out I was "OK", and I was the food guy. LOL
    I have raised hundreds and still only 50% correct on sexing them. They are very personable fish. I liken them to puppies. Anyway as mentioned, get it a friend or 2. There may be some sparring but nothing damaging and you may even get lucky and they pair up.

Good Luck!

8. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,359
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have four in a 53g. I'd say your tank could take another one. Their interactions are part of their charm. There would need to be cover to divide line of sight as they can get into little fights, but they never really cause harm. Multiple territory sites without line of sight to one another are important. Other than that they get on great, especially if you have a male/female pair. If you feel the scape couldn't accommodate them then that's fine. Most feel that they enjoy some company (when they aren't sticking to their own territories).

Once you know what you're looking for they aren't too hard to sex, occasionally one trickster might sneak in, but that one can easily be avoided. Looking at the breeding tube is so far the only method that hasn't failed me at least once. They can show the characteristics of the opposite sex, so all other sex defining features have occasionally been "wrong" in some individuals. Mostly they fit the norm though. Just look into the differences if you choose to go for another and stick with those that show definite sex traits if possible.

9. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Ratings:
    +1,527
    Experience:
    4 years
    Here's an update in case anyone cares: I now know why the ram was acting the way it was. I noticed today that it has become a lot darker in color and is pine coning. Sadly, I will probably euthanize the fish in the morning since it seems to be suffering. We've all been sick at my house so I haven't been able to watch it as much as I would have liked.

I am a bit worried about the corys in the tank and I hope they will be fine. I would treat the tank, but I'm not even sure what I am dealing with and I don't just want to throw medications at them. They seem to be fiesty and goofy as corys normally are.

Fish keeping for me always is an emotional roller coaster; one moment everything is fine and then it is all bad. Mostly it is good, but the bad moments are always a huge hit to me.