Bolivian Ram - Microgeophagus Altispinosa

1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

This is not my fish. Just found it on the internet and had to show you! Isn't it beautiful? I wish I had one like this !!!

Attached Files:

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Here is some info about it: (from this website: http://www.azgardens.com/cichlids.php)

Size: up to 3"
    pH: 6.5 7.5
    kH: 0 to 10
    Temp: 72 - 79 F
    Origin: Bolivia, Brazil, South America
    Price: only around $ 5 or $6 !!!

Extremely peaceful, small omnivore, that's ideal for any community tank. Not nearly as difficult to care for or ship as the Dwarf Blue or Dwarf Gold Rams are. This super hardy ram is a best bet for even the beginning fish keeper. The male (pictured above) can show quite the display of color, the female is usually drab. These Rams require a well-planted tank. Bolivian Rams are very faithful to each other once paired off, but just because you have 1 male and 1 female does NOT mean they will like each other and pair off, you should offer them other potential candidates to choose from.

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

That is a beautiful picture! I also love the blue rams. They are supposed to be great fish. Isabella, do you know if there are any aquatic societies near your home? that is a good way to get special fish that are healthy and inexpensive.

4. Andreas11292 Initiate Member

THATS A AWESOME FISH WERE CAN YOU GET THEM?

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Andreas, if I knew where to get this fish, I'd already have it! LOL. But good question. Anybody knows?

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If you live in the states, try Aquabid

7. Andreas11292 Initiate Member

I looked at my local petco and they have like 10-15 0f them there sooooo awsome!There like $6.50.

8. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Really Andreas? Where do you live? In the US? What state? I don't think they have them in NY! They never have anything nice in my pet store (which is Petland). But yes - this fish is too cute!

9. Craig Well Known Member Member

i havent seen anythin like that in any stores over here

10. LarryDavid Member Member

They have tons of these fish in my pet store.

Wild Caught Blue Rams, there £5 each :)

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Chris blue rams are Microgeophagus ramerizi
    Bolivian rams which Isabella is talking about are Microgeophagus Altispinosa
    The blue ram usually gets to about 2.5 inches and is smaller than The Bolivian rams. Blue rams are also harder to acclimate and breed than the Bolivian.
    Heres info on blue rams http://www.fishandtips.com/displaydb.php?ID=2
    Bolivian rams can get up to 4inches.
    Have had both and they are beautiful but demanding little fish.
    Carol

12. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Carol, I am getting the German Blue Ram (3 of them - as you've seen in my "fish List" before). I think it is equally - if not even more - beautiful than the Bolivian Ram, plus it's smaller - which is good because I don't want to overstock. But taking into account that the German Blue Ram is so delicate and sensitive, do you think it will withstand acclimatization in my 75 gallon planted tank? As you already know, it won't be overstocked, it'll have a lot of hiding spots (all the plants), I expect nitrate to be very low or at 0 at all times (though I've been recommended on Plant Geek to have between 5 - 20 ppm of nitrate because plants need it), and I assume my pH will range anywhere from 6.8 to 7.2 - this is what I've had with my tap water so far. Given these conditions, is there a change the Rams will do well in my tank?

Here is the picture of the Blue Ram (from http://www.azgardens.com/cichlids.php):

Attached Files:

13. Tumbleweed Well Known Member Member

The Blue Ram is one nice looking fish. That is definitely going to be on next fish to get list.

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Isabella I think they will do fine, you just have to acclimate them. They are real characters:)
    Carol

15. lokky.funky Member Member

Isabella, those are nice pictures. I haven't seen these beautiful creatures in my country.

16. Joe G Member Member

wow thats a great fish.

17. Mike Hewitt Initiate Member

i have 5 of them 3 babys and 2 adults. They look even better in real life

18. Stradius011 Well Known Member Member

Nice pictures! ;D I always wanted those Ram guys but they don't sell them at my LFS.

19. Stitsbabe Initiate Member

Wow, what a beautiful example of a Bolivian ram!

I had a pair of them until my female died yesterday, they a wonderful fish to keep, a joy to watch and so much character!

I would love to get another female to cheer my male up a bit....However, they appear to be quite difficult to find where I live. I have seen quite a few Dwarf Golden rams and several Blues, but only once have I seen Bolivian rams for sale and at £14.50 each, they were a bit expensive for me :(