Bolivian Ram Help! What do I do?

Bubba3474

Hello everyone,

I have just transferred all my fish from a 30 gallon to a new 55 gallon. Everything is cycled, and water parameters are perfect. Here is my stock info:
  • 1 Bolivian Ram (not sure if male or female)
  • 15 Neon Tetras
  • 6 Emerald Green Cory Catfish
  • 1 Rainbow Shark (very young so not a threat quite yet, I took him from my friend because he put the poor thing in a 2.5 gallon)
Here's my dilemma: you can read my old posts and see that when I first got him, I had concerns about his health because he was pale all the time. He always eats, but you usually have to back up and give him space as he is very skittish. He has yet to color up besides when he is very stressed (especially when I moved him from the 30g to the 55g). After my last post about him being pale, I stopped worrying about him and concluded that he doesn't color up because he is the only ram in the tank and because he lived in a tank with a white substrate.

I want him to be as happy as possible and show his true colors... do you think it's time to get another one and/or a few more? I have a lot of space left for stocking this tank, would love some advice. If you want to see pictures of him being pale, refer to my previous threads. I can also send more if needed, thank you!
No one has any insight? Just want the best for this little guy/girl :(

UmNick

I have had many fish that have had almost no color. IMO if you have space get a few more. I have noticed fish like rams do best for me in small colonies.

Edit: It seems Feohw is a guru on this. Perhaps they can help you more, as my experience with rams is somewhat limited. Best of luck.

MacZ

I have just transferred
Specify the timeframe please. "Just" can mean a few minutes ago or a few days.

Otherwise a picture of the tanks as a whole (old and new one) would be helpful. Pale colours in cichlids can simply be caused by bright environment and brightly coloured substrate. Fish try to adapt.

As Bolivians are not necessarily gregarious fish and can be kept in groups or single I doubt adding more will have any direct effect.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
RockinRy
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
Replies
Views