Bolivian Ram Help Please :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by TheManGaz, Mar 6, 2018.

1. TheManGaz

TheManGazNew MemberMember

Hi and thanks for taking a moment to read my post.

I have a Bolivian Ram who is under the weather to say the least.

He was being bullied by another Ram to the point that he was just laying on his side getting rammed. I removed him and put him in a tank with 3 panda cats and a few white cloud minnows.

He is barely eating and is dark in colour. He just sits on the bottom and only moves to grab a morsel of food. All his fins are tucked in and he has been like this for about 2 weeks now. I half expect each morning to find that he has passed away in the night :(

My LFS told me to clear the tank of fish, plants and ornaments and have him alone in there with a catfish or 2 to act as a bit of competition for food. He also recommended that I feed frozen brine shrimp that has added garlic but he doesn't seem keen on it.

I'm not quite sure what to do next as nothing I try seems to change his current state.

Has anyone got any idea on how to bring him back from his down time or is it going to be the end for him? Any idea what will be his outlook? :(

Regards & Thanks
    Gary

2. CraniumRex

CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

Hi Gary. Sorry this has happened. I just picked up four Bolivian rams myself and am interested in course of action

Could I ask if it makes sense to move the aggressive ram out and put the other fellow “home” so he’s less stressed? I can’t say if this is the right thing but seems the agreessive guy has more ability to withstand the stress of being moved. If not then no disrespect to the LFS but my intuition says not to follow their advice of clearing everything out. I’d give the fellow lots of cover to make him feel safe and keep the lights off - just have ambient light from any windows. Maybe I’m wrong and anthropomorphising too much but if he’s stressed already seems competitors and no cover would only make it worse.

Just my thoughts.

3. Celestialgirl

CelestialgirlWell Known MemberMember

I agree with Cranium. Usually plants and decore make fish feel more comfortable. I usually throw some fake plants in QT to make them more comfortable.

I had a pair of Bolivian Rams last summer. I loved them but they didn’t last long.

Food-wise it sounds like you’re doing well. I’m assuming there aren’t any water quality issues? I would have thought he would have bounced back by now. Perhaps he was injured or sick?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice