Bolivian Ram Flashing

ChapouJunior

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey guys, wondering if you would know why my Bolivian Ram is flashing/rubbing on gravel. He's my only fish doing that, there's no sign of ICH on any fishes also. Just did my weekly wc yesterday and my water param. are 0,0,5-10, ph around 7.2-7.4. temp 75. I'm trying to find a cause, could a salt bath help him maybe?

Here is some pictures of him.
84bd82094da708b602dd5788fad298b9.jpg
c011b52ca0716e147635403a0d22e71c.jpg
a1e3c1d87d962b0ec0f3dc8f6405a6bd.jpg

The dots you see ain't ich btw, in the picture it look like that but it's actually his normal colors, he always had that and a lot of BR have those blue/white dots.

Ernest Sacco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ChapouJunior said:
Hey guys, wondering if you would know why my Bolivian Ram is flashing/rubbing on gravel. He's my only fish doing that, there's no sign of ICH on any fishes also. Just did my weekly wc yesterday and my water param. are 0,0,5-10, ph around 7.2-7.4. temp 75. I'm trying to find a cause, could a salt bath help him maybe?

Here is some pictures of him.
84bd82094da708b602dd5788fad298b9.jpg
c011b52ca0716e147635403a0d22e71c.jpg
a1e3c1d87d962b0ec0f3dc8f6405a6bd.jpg

The dots you see ain't ich btw, in the picture it look like that but it's actually his normal colors, he always had that and a lot of BR have those blue/white dots.
Is the behavior sudden and or violent?....or is it more like he's actually scratching...?

OP
ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ernest Sacco said:
Is the behavior sudden and or violent?....or is it more like he's actually scratching...?
It really looks like he's scratching. I watched for an hour after seeing him scratching 3 times and he did not do it once in that hour. Can a fish just be really itchy and scratch himself like a dog would on grass for example ?

Ernest Sacco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ChapouJunior said:
It really looks like he's scratching. I watched for an hour after seeing him scratching 3 times and he did not do it once in that hour. Can a fish just be really itchy and scratch himself like a dog would on grass for example ?
I've had plenty of large cichlids that spend their time weaving through my rock formations and running up against the sides....as long as his side's don't seem agitated I wouldn't sorry...if blisters or red spots appear defiantly get some medication and do a water change

OP
ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ernest Sacco said:
I've had plenty of large cichlids that spend their time weaving through my rock formations and running up against the sides....as long as his side's don't seem agitated I wouldn't sorry...if blisters or red spots appear defiantly get some medication and do a water change
Okay that's good news! I'll keep an eye on him, thank you!

OP
ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
aquatickeeper said:
It might mean parasites. API General Cure, HikarI PraziPro, etc. are used to treat this.
Oh okay, I'll watch closely everyday to see if keep doing it, because now it's been like 4hours I'm close to my tank and watching him and he did not scratched himself again. Would a salt bath help?

IcedColdMine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ChapouJunior said:
Oh okay, I'll watch closely everyday to see if keep doing it, because now it's been like 4hours I'm close to my tank and watching him and he did not scratched himself again. Would a salt bath help?
Al least he doesn't eat your plants. My Apisto red-neck male spends most his day eating my plants.... like all of them including my anubias lol.

OP
ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
IcedColdMine said:
Al least he doesn't eat your plants. My Apisto red-neck male spends most his day eating my plants.... like all of them including my anubias lol.
Oh god lol I'm glad he's not doing that.. poor you lol

OP
ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
aquatickeeper said:
Anymore scratching/rubbing?
I was at college all day wasn't home a lot but I've been watching him now for a good 30minutes he looks fine, no rubbing no scratching.. !

I did gave him a salt bath (not a lot of salt, a low dosage) yesterday.

OP
ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
aquatickeeper said:
Wow, that's good news.
Yes indeed, I'll keep watching him though, will tell you if something change, thanks for the help

New Threads