Bolivian Ram Feeding Confusion...how Much And How Often?

Han

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys,
I have recently acquired a Bolivian ram :emoji_heart:, he is in a 20G tank with a school of glowlight tetras.
Now here's my issue..at the fish store the guy surprised me by informing me that I should feed my ram twice a day to make sure that he stays healthy, because "Bolivian rams can waste away".
I did a lot of research before buying the fish and never came across anything about that.
Before putting my ram in the tank my usual schedule was feeding once a day every second day, because my tetras are VERY fat and greedy and most of all - I don't want to be overfeeding and putting a lot of waste into the tank or cause an ammonia spike.
How much and often should I be feeding the tank now? I have been following the lfs advice by feeding the tank twice a day everyday, but I am scared this is too much.
Does anyone with experience with community tanks/ram experience have any insight?
I am scared of overfeeding o_O

p.s. I alternate between pellets and bloodworms

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
By no means an expert. I started with a pair. Feed once per day, even skip a day. I feed a variety of food. Frozen and Freeze dried bloodworms, brine shrimp. Their favorite is Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets then Fluval Bug Bites. The only time I feed 2-3x per day is when I have fry to help them grow, but they also require water changes every couple of days. In fact I may be offering some for sale in a few weeks. Here is a pic of my pair.
Bolivian Ram Pair.jpg

Good Luck!

Han

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jmaldo said:
By no means an expert. I started with a pair. Feed once per day, even skip a day. I feed a variety of food. Frozen and Freeze dried bloodworms, brine shrimp. Their favorite is Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellets then Fluval Bug Bites. The only time I feed 2-3x per day is when I have fry to help them grow, but they also require water changes every couple of days. In fact I may be offering some for sale in a few weeks. Here is a pic of my pair.
View attachment 434708

Good Luck!
Okay great! That's reassuring to hear, I won't feed him so much anymore. Your pair is beautiful, really pretty! I don't know how old my one is but he's still pretty small, so I think he's still got some coloring up to do, but I still think he's pretty cute

Attachments

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice Bolivian. Mine were quite shy at first, but now they come up to "Greet" me. Actually they just want their pellets. Good Luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom