Bolivian Ram eggs

neverendingninja
Well, yesterday I drove 5 hours north to see a show

and I didn't get home until 6am this morning, didn't go to sleep til 7:15am....then, I lounged around all day trying to recoup and finally peeked in my fish tank, and my bolivian rams have a clutch of eggs right on the gravel, in the middle of my wisteria. All this while the temp is 83ºF, and I'm still struggling to get the cycle caught back up after medicating the tank. We'll see what happens. All the eggs look fertile, and both parents are actively guarding them.

Wish them luck

Butterfly
WOW! Rams are so cool with their eggs and fry. They may even move them around a few times. Your so lucky
Carol

COBettaCouple
very cool! best of luck with them - can't wait to see pics of the fry!

neverendingninja
I don't think I'm going to remove the fry from the tank and rear them separately. At this point in time I'm not looking to raise a bunch of fish, but its very rewarding to know my fish are happy enough to breed. However, I think one or two may survive, as its quite a large clutch of eggs, and there are a ton of spots for them to hide.

neverendingninja
Well, she started munching on eggs this evening. She spits something out, but due to her position in the tank, I can't tell whether she is spitting out the whole egg or pieces. I definitely don't think she's spitting out wigglers, because I don't see any motion. Oh well.

COBettaCouple
you think she's eating them & not moving them?

neverendingninja
I'm pretty sure she ate them all, but she's still hanging out in her little nesting spot. I don't see any eggs anywhere, but unfortunately can't get a great view of the area...so, if I don't see wigglers today, she ate them. Oh well! I'm just glad they were comfortable to spawn in the first place. And FYI, this is in a pH of less than 6. With 0kH.

neverendingninja
Woohoo! She didn't eat them. She moved them into a nice little pile, and now I see wiggling going on by the base of a plant! I've got baby fish. Once she comes out of her spot, I'll try to snag some pictures.

Sabi
Wow you lucky! That's really super!

COBettaCouple
;D great to hear she was only moving them! gonna be wigglers in the tank!

Woohoo! She didn't eat them. She moved them into a nice little pile, and now I see wiggling going on by the base of a plant! I've got baby fish. Once she comes out of her spot, I'll try to snag some pictures.

neverendingninja
Well, someone ate them, or she lost them all to the substrate. Unfortunately, its quite full of gaps, being large gravel and all, and I'm afraid it may have allowed the wigglers to wiggle out of her reach.

Its all over now, and she's actively swimming with the rest of the gang...not beating anyone up anymore

Hopefully, shortly after Christmas, I'll be switching to a coarse sand/eco-complete substrate so that will be more appropriate for their needs

melawii
I had the exact same concerns with gravel while my kribensis were breeding, I switched over to sand, but there is still a good inch or gravel underneath for plant support. I'm pretty sure I lost some wigglers to the cracks and crevices of darn gravel! haha, but sand can be a pest as well... I just prefer it deffinately for breeding. sorry to hear about your wigglers, hopefully you'll have some more soon!

neverendingninja
Like I said, I'm not too upset about losing the babies. I'm just glad that my adult fish were happy enough to at least attempt to make a family, even if dad is like a rolling stone.

Isabella
Don't worry - they'll spawn again And I'd love to see some pics of your Rams! ;D

COBettaCouple
yea, we need to get some of that stuff too for when our Julies get to breeding time.. I'll look forward to seeing how you set your tank up when you get it.

neverendingninja
Looks like it will be shortly after Christmas. I think my mom is either going to get me the eco-complete, or just give me the money to get it. That would be ridiculously awesome. Oh yeah, pictures of fish right before breeding

Tayful
Sorry to hear that you lost them - I absolutely love bolivian rams (even though I have not owned any - YET), and when I get mine I also hope they'll be happy enough to breed. That's so exciting!

dmccormick91
Ok so I'm watching my Bolivian Rams spawn right now and they have laid well over 150 eggs. Now I have read many times that they only lay up to 100 each spawn. This is more than they have laid the last three times..maybe they are just making up for the other times lol !!

Sent from my HTC One using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Witchydesign
Awwe babies!!!!!!

dmccormick91
I know I love this! I got annoyed last time they spawned because they started doing it every three weeks, but I have come to love watching the development and them take care of the fry(until they get tired of it). I hope that they will decide to not eat them this time. If I notice them disappearing I will have to move them to the fry tank, even though I would rather them be taken care of by mom and dad.
BTW they laid a good 200-250 eggs! This will be interesting.

Witchydesign
I want to get my JoJo a girlfriend but until I get the bigger tank hes gonna be all alone. That and id have to find homes for whatever girls he didnt pair with.

dmccormick91
Yea I got lucky and my male has decided to be a player and pair up with both females. He switches up girls every other spawn lol.

Witchydesign
lol. I might give it ago. ill still have the current tank if this fungus problem doesn't resolve, so if anything a single female he doesn't pair can go there..

dmccormick91
What kind of fish do you have?

Witchydesign
Hes a bolivian ram. unfortunately he is a petsmart fish, his coloring is subpar at best. mainly just brownish grey with a tinge of color on his fins. But hes friendly and loves his mama lol.

dmccormick91
Mine were petsmart fish but their colors came out pretty good after feeding them a mix of frozen foods, algae wafers, and flakes. I wish mine were more attached to me, but they only beg for food lol. What size tank do you have?

Witchydesign
Right now its a 20. My mom is moving out here and is giving me her 60 bowfront. So hes moving up in the next few months. Right now hes on a mix of frozen brine, frozen bloodworm, tetra micro pellets that the danios and rasboras don't eat, cichlid flakes from kensfish... he ignores sinking cichlid pellets. lol. but does like the betta pellets from kensfish. tried those when he continued to ignore the first 3 types of cichlid pellets.

dmccormick91
Lol. Yea he will love the new tank when you get it all set up. I am fixing to set up my new 55gal in a few days. I cannot wait to see how my fish react to the big change

Witchydesign
they should all enjoy the change, and I will definitely enjoy stocking mine lol. I think ill just move my ram,baby bn and the danios. up the rasboras in the 20, or get a school of something else. I want a school of threadfins for the 40. I have one that I was just going to hold for someone since his school was sick and it was a replacement for onethat had died but the rest of his school died so he told me to keep it. hes still a relatively happy fish, fullcolor and swims with everyone but he needs friends of his own type. And of course, jojo needs a girlfriend lol.

dmccormick91
I wish was going to get to stock mine again. I already the fish I want to put in there. The only thing I get to do Is get a few more rainbows to finish a school! My other half won't let me have two main tanks right now. The only way I can is if I put it upstairs but I don't think these townhouse floors are strong enough. :/

Witchydesign
ive got 4 right now. one 20, two tens, and a five. oh, a bowl too. one ten has one betta, the second is getting set up for the other betta whos in the bowl, the five is just snails for now. and various cups with random plants growing along the windowsills lol

dmccormick91
Oh I wish. I have my 29 gal main tank and 5 gal fry. I'm setting up a 10 gal quarantine tank. One this 55 is up the 29 is coming down

Witchydesign
I just wish I couldhave a tank bigger than 20gal here. landlord won't let me. moving once mom gets out here

dmccormick91
I had a 100 gal I was about to snatch up for 350 but my landlord was beyond against it. So a 55 it is. They still don't know I went bigger even though they said I couldn't lol

Witchydesign
idont think my floors would hold any bigger lol

dmccormick91
haha I know the feeling.

Witchydesign
I think first though, will be a betta breeding attempt. Jenks has a huge father instinct, he should at least get the opportunity once

dmccormick91
I have heard that is a tricky thing to do. Let me know how it works out for you. I'm thinking about breeding my rams, I hate that so many fish are from farms that don't care.

Anders247
Congrats on the eggs!

dmccormick91
Thank you. She laid about 200 of them, hoping they mane it this time.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishyfishyfishman
Top Bottom