Bolivian Ram Cichlid Care

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by FoulFishes, Dec 3, 2012.

1. FoulFishes

FoulFishesValued MemberMember

I would like to get a Bolivian Ram soon, these fish are awesome! Anyway, i've been finding alot more care information on the German Blue Ram, and i'm sure most of it applies to both species, but is there anything special I should know about? The Ram is for a new tank so I won't be getting one until its been established for a while, but I wanted to start preparing now.

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

A link to get you started while you wait for more responses:

Ken

3. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

They're a little different from gbrs in the sense that they get bigger ( a 30g is recommended) and they prefer harems to pairs, depending on tank size 1M to 3F is good. They also seem to be a bit hardier. Provide caves and different areas so they can get out of eachothers way if they wish.

4. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

They seem to be slightly more boisterous from what I've heard. A little less on the shy side. :)

5. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

To add to what others have said, Bolivians prefer slightly cooler water than GBRs. I wouldn't go above 84*F for them. They also like a heavier protein diet than GBRs but they will also eat a lot of fresh veggies.

Your tank should be set up and cycled for at least 6 months before you add bolivians. Try to add them all as a group instead of adding separate individuals at different times.

6. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Thanks for all the info guys. I was thinking about just getting a single male or female though. It would be nice to have a few, but I want to put the Ram in a community tank with an Angelfish. Its going to be an Amazon River Basin biotope. But having multiple Rams and multiple Angels sounds like trouble, what do you guys think?

7. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Depends on the tank size, how heavily planted it is, and whether each pairs off properly.

8. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I think i'll try my luck with one of each first. Its going to be a while until the tank is fully cycled and what not anyway so theres time to think on it. The particular specimens my LFS had when I looked earlier didn't look too happy either. Hopefully that'll change when my tank is ready.

9. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I would put the angels in last, as they are more aggressive than rams and more sensitive to ammonia spikes and such.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

That was actually going to be my next question :)
    So I guess i'll start with adding the Tetras, then continue with Tetras and Corycats. Once the schools are beefed up i'll look at adding the Bristlenose Pleco, the Ram, and lastly the Angelfish.
    Sorry if its weird i've already decided that, but i'm planning this tank around the fish I wanna stock with, instead of buying a tank I like then stocking with whats cool and fits.

11. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Nah, it's not weird. It's a greaat way to go if you have the luxury of getting whatever size tank you want :)

Your plan sounds perfect.

You know, it's funny, but german blue rams are supposed to be so sensitive - and mine survived an ammonia spike of 4ppm. It appears that all the fish I've gotten from Petsmart have been hardier than other places, so you might want to get your Bolivians there...just treat them for camallanus worms before you put them in the tank, as the germans and mollies I got from there were apparently carrying this terrible parasite. It takes a couple months to show up so they'll likely be out of QT before you know they're there. Best to treat first. Check   for Levamisole HCl for Freshwater. It's the only surefire cure. You'll need about a gram per 10g and you'll need to treat twice, three weeks apart. Save your filter media aside because it appears to kill BB. I recommend this now because by the time you see them, they've done a ton of damage to your fish's intestines and so the affected ones may not survive the treatment at that point (and will die anyway if you don't treat them.)

12. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

Well, if I could get whatever size I wanted i'd get a tank big enough for a school of Angelfish and a school of Bolivian Rams haha, but I original decided to plan size around the stock as long as the stock was reasonable.
    The Rams at my petsmart are very inactive and look really depressed, but if I was a Ram and I lived at petsmart i'd be sad too. Thats so gross though, i'm glad you warned me. Though, now i'd rather avoid petsmart at all cost if possible. Their tanks have been extremely dirty lately, like ridiculously dirty might I add.
    By any chance does anyone know if "Ruby Red Ram" is a nickname for Bolivian Rams?

13. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I've never heard of them, but I think I'll go look them up. You've got me curious :)

EDIT: Apparently it is, though in fish stores it may also erroneously be used for this fish:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  14. OP
    OP
    FoulFishes

I figured thats what they were supposed to be, unless their card for Bolivian Rams fell of the tank haha. Never heard of Cupid Cichlids, but they look just like Bolivian Rams without the bright red on the fins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice