Bolivian ram behavior?

stephpartin

Hey everyone just sitting here being entertained by my fish. Did I just admit that out loud? Oh well they make me happy:)

So my question is I have noticed the female ram getting very aggressive with the male and she is even starting to (not chase) but not put up with the cories being around her. It looks like she has gotten bigger in size and I saw her female part hanging down. The male is now hiding from her. I was just curious if she might be full of eggs? I don't know anything about these guys so I could be sending you pics of a male. Lol. Thanks!!20200919_235918.jpg

Attachments

Flyfisha

The female may just be learning her roll in the game of reproduction? When you see her cleaning a flat rock she may be getting read to lay eggs on it?
I am thinking by the looks of her photo she is young still? Yes you will see what looks like aggression but it’s possible it’s just them testing each other?
One day the male is chasing ,the next day the female is chasing.?
What I have seen is the one being chased stopping out in the open ( saying chase me chase me) . When it’s real aggressive behaviour the stopping is behind things out of sight just around a corner.

I am not saying if that’s a male or female ether. But the female does “ drop her egg tube “ from time to time.

GlennO

Looks like male to me. Only going by other Cichlids I have kept, the male genitalia is usually pointed, sometimes tapering backwards a bit. The female's generally has a blunt end. That looks like the former. I've never kept Bolivians but I expect the same would apply to them.

jmaldo

"Bolivians" my favorite fish. Remind me of puppies.
Breed and raised 100's, still only 50% on gender ID. LOL
You have gotten some "Good" info. Also once they get into a breeding mode, keep an eye out for the "Breeding Dance/Shimmy" along with some "Vivid" change in coloring. Also some lip locking may occur and possibly "Plant" re-arranging.

Good Luck!

stephpartin

GlennO said:
Looks like male to me. Only going by other Cichlids I have kept, the male genitalia is usually pointed, sometimes tapering backwards a bit. The female's generally extends straight down with a blunt end. That looks like the former. I've never kept Bolivians but I expect the same would apply to them.
Hello and thanks for replying! Can you tell from this image whether its a male and female? It kinda looks I ks like whom I believe is a male making a sand nest. Someone mentioned them lip locking, well they were doing that earlier. Thx again for your help;)

Attachments

stephpartin

Flyfisha said:
The female may just be learning her roll in the game of reproduction? When you see her cleaning a flat rock she may be getting read to lay eggs on it?
I am thinking by the looks of her photo she is young still? Yes you will see what looks like aggression but it’s possible it’s just them testing each other?
One day the male is chasing ,the next day the female is chasing.?
What I have seen is the one being chased stopping out in the open ( saying chase me chase me) . When it’s real aggressive 0behaviour the stopping is behind things out of sight just around a corner.

I am not saying if that’s a male or female ether. But the female does “ drop her egg tube “ from time to time.
Hello and thanks!!::I'm new to taking care of rams. Well now I'm a little concerned because they have been lip locking a few times today and she is cornering him behind the cave and plants!! Maybe she is trying to establish dominance over him. I have only had them about a week and a half. Thx agaun:)))

smee82

That 1st photo looks like a male to me too.

stephpartin

smee82 said:
That 1st photo looks like a male to me too.
What about this photo? Does it look like a male and female? Thx:))

Attachments

Flyfisha

Lip locking is nothing to worry about. You are allowed to be witness but not be concerned. It’s not like watching guppy’s anymore?

A photo of skin removed from the face of a happy pair of rainbow cichlids that would lay eggs one day and then look like a terrible disagreement was going on . Next week more eggs and fry. What passes for happy families is not what we think of as humans?
Second photos same fish a few days later. Not rams but note the change in colour in just a short time .E7053EE1-BF5E-4027-9AE8-B8BDC8ADD8D7.jpeg0B7D4910-280E-49A7-86BF-69A5C83D2C25.jpeg
Edit.
Sorry I can’t sex my own fish .
Second edit .
Note the little fry in second photo.

stephpartin

Flyfisha said:
Lip locking is nothing to worry about. You are allowed to be witness but not be concerned. It’s not like watching guppy’s anymore?

A photo of skin removed from the face of a happy pair of rainbow cichlids that would lay eggs one day and then look like a terrible disagreement was going on . Next week more eggs and fry. What passes for happy families is not what we think of as humans?
Second photos same fish a few days later. Not rams but note the change in colour in just a short time .E7053EE1-BF5E-4027-9AE8-B8BDC8ADD8D7.jpeg0B7D4910-280E-49A7-86BF-69A5C83D2C25.jpeg
Edit.
Sorry I can’t sex my own fish .
Second edit .
Note the little fry in second photo.
That is some crazy behavior. Some tiny microscopic male fish attach themselves to to comparatively huge female fish for life. The female provides safety and the male contributes an endless amount of ssperm. It is so funny to see!!

smee82

stephpartin said:
What about this photo? Does it look like a male and female? Thx:))
Nothing in it makes me think female so id say 2 males

stephpartin

smee82 said:
Nothing in it makes me think female so id say 2 males
Oh no back to fish store!! Thx

Feohw

Look at how large the tube of that first one is, and the one of the left (the same ram) in the picture with both of them. The size would tell me it's a female. This is a males tube, much smaller:
vent.jpg
The other one looks to have pointed ventral fins and a pointed analfin, so I would agree that that one is male.

stephpartin

Feohw said:
Look at how large the tube of that first one is, and the one of the left (the same ram) in the picture with both of them. The size would tell me it's a female. This is a males tube, much smaller:
vent.jpg
The other one looks to have pointed ventral fins and a pointed analfin, so I would agree that that one is male.
Thanks for taking a look!! I'll be searching around fior a female:)

Top Bottom